The caption is "Traction steam engine hauling borax, 1904" Don't know where this was taken, or who manufactured the Traction Steam Engine. I culled this from a power point presentation of "old" pictures that a friend emailed me. Any idea who made this tractor? Like how the woman are riding along? :crazy
I don't know all the details, but that traction engine may be the same one on display at the Furnace Creek ranch in Death Valley California. The traction engines were brought in to replace the 20 mule teams hauling Borax from the mines in Death Valley to the railroad heading. Not sure, but the tractor may be a Holt
I got that recently from a friend in Australia.Very interesting.Ron G
The tractor is a Best built somewhere in the early 1890's in San Leandro, CA. and including the trailers cost about $10,000 U.S.. These were sold all over the world from Hawaii to Siberia. I have a picture of one hauling logs for the McCloud River Lumber company of northern California in 1894. If I can get it scanned I will post it. Holt and Best combined forces in 1925 to form Caterpillar Tractor Co. and Western Harvester Co. Source "Century of Change", Caterpillar Tractor Co.
Nice old pic.
Check this out... http://images.google.com/imgres?img...Creek+ranch&gbv=2&ndsp=18&hl=en&sa=N&start=72
Tonka Great link. I knew I had seen that somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Looks like I had Holt and Best mixed up on this one though. Glad you and Tripper174 cleared it up for me.
Your Welcome:drinkup
I'm just happy that I remembered seeing the picture of a tractor like that!
That old stuff is amazing where did the ideascome from??
Just spent a couple hours going through this site ... very interesting reading imho. Thanks for the link tonka ! :usa JV
Wonder what OSHA would say about the women riders?