Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1080b won’t move

campgroundguy · 2018-10-11 12:41

Hi guys, any help you could offer would be appreciated, I have a case 1080b excavator that stopped moving. It was working fine, I stopped and shut it off for lunch and it would not move again. I tested power to the switch and the switch seemed to be working, I traced the wires back to a solenoid, I wiggled them just to see where they went, and in hopes it had a loose connection, and still nothing. I came back to the machine an hour later (with a friend that had some experience working on these older machines) and the machine worked like it never had a problem. We tried to get it to do it again and it kept working flawlessly. Now that brings us till today, the machine has been parked in the same spot for about a month since that episode, got in today and it doesn't move, tested power at the switch again, switch works and has power, chased the wires back to the solenoid and it has power at the Solenoid when the switch is toggled, I noticed the wire going to the solenoid was a little messed up like someone had stripped the insulation back to test it before. I pulled the solenoid off of the hydraulic valve to inspect it. It looked pretty corroded, we cleaned it up and soldered a new wire on to it, but Im not sure if I tested it correctly, I don't think its working though, I called around for a new one and seems very difficult to get. maybe Im looking in the wrong places. its pouring rain out right now, so i figured id try to search out if anyone else every had this problem, and found a solution. (Ive searched the forum and have seen similar problems but no solutions offered.) so my questions are 1. Has anyone had this problem in a manner in which I described ? 2. Was it indeed an electrical issue? 3. Where can I get parts for this machine ?

Replies9
  1. #1TVA2018-10-11 13:28

    Do you need machine today?

  2. #2campgroundguy2018-10-11 13:33

    not really its a rainy mess today

  3. #3TVA2018-10-11 13:44

    Did you ohm tested Is it corroded on electric side or hydraulic side?

  4. #4campgroundguy2018-10-11 13:57

    it was corroded on the electric side, we didn't remove the hydraulic part of the valve just took the solenoid off at this point. I tried to ohm test it, but really didn't know what I was doing, if you can explain the way to ohm test the solenoid that would be great. The way we did it was set the meter to ohms and tested from the wire to the inside of the cylinder part of the solenoid and also from the wire to the part that mates against the valve.

  5. #5TVA2018-10-11 14:02

    Does it have two prong/ spade contacts or just one?

  6. #6campgroundguy2018-10-11 14:04

    one

  7. #7TVA2018-10-11 14:06

    And wat was your readings?

  8. #8TVA2018-10-11 14:09

    I would suggest to mount it back on the valve and ohm tests it with one lead on contact and the other on machine chassis or even B-. You might have intermittent ground issue.

  9. #980 Baby2018-10-11 20:30

    Hi when you say it won’t move are you describing tracks or all functions?