Thought some of you might enjoy this video of 11 year old Mikey playing on one of 30 machines they have sitting in their back yard. He learned on mini machines and now runs every excavator, every dozer, scraper, etc. He is very aware of what makes these machines work, and the safety of operating them. Please try to see the postive in this cool video. He is a nice little kid and already a top gun heavy equipment operator. http://www.motionbox.com/videos/1c9...=playlist&playlist_uid=1f9cd8b7121692&type=sd
As dangerous as some of you might think this might look, he loves machinery !! His friends are now smoking , drinking and experimenting with drugs , if Mikey was my little boy , I'd say he is much safer here around machinery than with his friends. His dad and him also have a best friend relationship, and that is also awesome.
I see no problem with that. I started running our 950B loading trucks when i was 6 years old. the D8N pushing fill at 8 and the excavators when i was 10. Everyone has to learn some time
I don't think that we see enough of this kind of thing anymore. When I was that age dad was bringing me to job sites on weekends and summer vacations. Any jobs going on around where I lived you could count on me being there after school, that's where I learned to grease equipment. When I was delivering precast i would occasionally bring my kids with me when I was loading on the weekends and when I was done I'd let my son fold up the boom on the crane and put it in the cradle. I delivered to one job where the dad and older son left just after I got there and the younger son was left behind. So I called him over and let him fold up the boom. Little things like that will make memories forever.
Im am only 22 but for as long ass i can remeber i been running equipment i started backfilling foundations at 8, and started digging foundations at 13. If i didnt start as young as i did i wouldnt be half the operater i am.
I think that was cool, my wife watched the video with me and she thought that was cool,too. I agree with 95zIV, we don't see that enough. I am impressed that the kid was even outside, much less on a machine that size. I always try to get my 5 year old daughter to ride in the dump truck with me, or on the 955, or on the tractor around the farm, if not to learn what I am doing, then to say later in life "Dad used to do that with me".
Hes not the safest operator if he left those 2 other excavators with the sticks in the air...
really mint, this is so, so, cool and the alternative to this is fighting, drug taking and beating up old ladies for cash what a damn shame we are restricted by rules and regulations for almost everything and when we see something as good as this we try to stop it i think the whole world needs some strong lessons like this. Disillusioned onearmedbandit
Start em young, I did.:drinkup
my dad started me off just like that i started on an old 944A stockpiling sand and eventually worked my way up to our long reach excavator. i'm 18 today and i still run the long reach and this summer when i graduate plans are for me to take over the sandpit completely. it sure pays off when you start off at a young age.
I was operating TS-24's at age 14
Whilst there is nothing much wrong with a young person learning to use equipment safely (unlike me), plastering it all over the internet might not be such a good idea. Remember the safety police is everywhere these days and them seeing youngens using heavy equipment will only stir them up. Perhaps to such an extend that they will try and impose age limits and such. All it might take is one serious accident, that and a thousand videos of kids playing with big tonka toys and the safety mob will have all the ammo they need to get the pollies to crack down. Also there are other issues such as insurance and the ability of an 11 year old to assess risks but there again the only way for them to learn to assess risks is on the job.
My brother and I have been operating equiptment since we were little guys
I only wish I had those opportunities! But people snub you and say, "oh, what's a kid like you want?" It gets to me, it really does. Then you get on the equipment and you show them that you CAN operate it carefully, road it smoothly and so on and their dying to see what else you can do, but haven't 'learnt' to do.
I haven't had any big machines for my boys to play with but my son could chop down a 3" diameter tree with a dull machete before he was 2. It is great to have your boys working with you as long as it is safe. Good job.
I could not see the video but even with that said: I have to say as much as I am a fan of having youngsters learn machines 11 is still to young. There is no way they would ever know what to do in an emergency. I give a thumbs up for encouragement but a thumbs down for "under age" operation! It is great he is not doing drugs etc..., but are all of his friends smoking and drinking etc? I am a father and feel being a father is what keeps kids out of bad habits, not placing them on machinery. I hope he does good and enjoys the machines enough to carry on. At the same time I hope he does not get hurt runnning a machine he truely has no business being on.
I agree 11 is to young I would have much rather been playing and riding bikes with friends instead of working.:Banghead
I still agree with the ole timers way of doing things, start with a shovel prove that ya don't mind getting dirty then work your way up.
The days of old have past, I've been operating wreckers from the age of 10. Started in a F-350 and by age 12 working and rigging a twin boom W45 Holmes on a 5 ton truck.My dad would have to drive the truck to the sites but turned the controlls over to me while he ran the other truck. I'm now in my 50's and wouldn't change a thing about the way I was taught. Kids are just like adults not all are cut out to do certain things but the ones who shouldn't be held back!
I was raised that way too maddog I started at 7 years old shooting grade, crumbing basements laying fabric paper and septic tank pipe in the summer months when I was out of school and then wrenching on equiptment after school the rest of the year.
The reason I agree with the old way of doing a job is that it teaches respect for the whole job rather then just one part. I am NOT saying anyone here is a hot head operator but I have worked at places where the operators thought their xxxx didn't stink. I'd rather work with a "jack of all trades" over the guy/gal with a big head because he/she believes their top dog just because they run a machine. Kind of like the "book worm" telling the "hands on" person how to do stuff, just because they read it. What may look good one way may not fit the bigger picture.
Wrenchbender; I understand your point I also was operating chainsaws and skidding logs{with old tractors/no brakes etc} at a young age{11-12, 40's now}, times where different. I also agree that some are ment for the job more then others, BUT young still = inexperience. The days of farming kids/common sense is slowly comming to an end. I see a lot of video's on you tube with youngsters operating excavators, and it's all cute, UNTIL something bad happens. One video comes to mind, the kid running a mini moving some rock. No big deal except there is a big drop off right behind him. What happens when the little guy hits the wrong control and heads for the cliff??? Chances are he will panic and the loved ones will be attending a funeral.
Lots of adults would panic, lots of kids would panic. Some adults would not panic. Some kids would not panic. There are many adults now who have never held a shovel or an axe, never started a fire, never built anything, never torn anything down, etc. These adults have less sense of the physical capabilities of materials and machines. They have little sense of what is dangerous and what is not. They have been absent their entire lives from the culture of safety propagated by working men. They, when inexperienced are more dangerous on a job site than almost any 8 yr old farm boy.
I have a 5 year old son who loves to go the farm with me. I let him get on our 325 excavator with me (he sits in my lap) and dig around some. Surprisingly, he is very smooth and easy with it. Would'nt trade that time for anything. I wouldnt turn him loose clearing trees, but every boy needs to get out and play in the dirt.
Great! I wished I had photo of myself ran a Komatsu crawler loader when I was 8!
Stuff the fun police,get the kids learning to dig holes real quick so they can bury the buggers,some of the best operators I have come across started when they were kids unlike the ones today who get work experince in a class room
i am now 18 and i have been around equipment my whole life. instead of day care i went to work with my father, uncle, and grandfather. while they dug foundations i was sitting in their laps learning the controls. as i got older i was jumping in the hole checking grade. i think that enviroment is a great place to grow up in. it teaches you to be aware of your surroundings. i am now in college and cannot be around the machienes but this forum keeps me sane.
never mind the "safety police" try putting in a claim for workman's comp or health insurance if anyone gets hurt while a kid is operating. and if someone else's kid is operating? kid sprains an ankle and tells mommy and daddy how it happened and boom, lawsuit. what will you tell the court? the truth? if you want to take that risk go ahead, I wont spoil your fun...
You know years ago if some body got hurt they went to the DR.Now days they go see a Laywer.Even your relatives.
years ago people werent hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt with 5 credit cards either... but thats another discussion...
I think its fine in the right place and time. I started on a komatsu 220 when I was 7 on an active job site. I can remember my dad being very impressed that I avoided all of the stakes. I had learned to run the machine while sitting behind dad and watching him operate.
Youre Never to young! i started on a 690B loading a crusher when i was 5(with supervision), It was cool to do kid's stuff too but it taught me to love machinery. I have a big reputation around for being verry young and being on dangerous jobs running equipment now at the age of 20 , Running one of our underground crews there isn't an engineer that doubts my experience or my ability's. I am verry happy to learn that im not the only one to grow up like this and it's neat to see kids just like me !
I started doing simple jobs with a tractor when I was 10. Dad was there to supervise. He would stop me if something got sketchy and do it himself. Then he'd turn me loose again. I wouldn't trade that time for a million bucks.
My son started running equipment at 10 under supoervison. He usually ran a tie crane on the tourist railroad we both volunteered at. When he was 13, we hosted a tourist railroad mini convention and did a track work demo. I was talking with a supervisor for a shortline RR in WI and my son was standing next to me (He stood as tall as me)) The supervisor asked him if he wanted a summer job the following summer on his tie gang. I asked the supervisor if he hired 14 year olds One day I derailed a larry car. He was the only one around that could operate the 25 ton self propelled crane to rerail it. I asked him who taught him to run it, he told me he watched the regular operator . A volunteer brought a CAT 416 to load ballast into dump trucks. At 13, after 4 hours on it and never been on a loader, he could load trucks as fast as the employee that ran it during the week.
This reminds me of our neighbors who are farmers. Their son, who was seven or eight years old at the time, one day matter of factly told my wife that he was on his way home to pack his suitcase. He had just blown the engine in the tractor while working in the field, so he planned to clear out before his dad got home. Training kids to run equipment is one thing, but I don't think one should hold them responsible when things go wrong.
No you can hold them responcible but you cant treat them like an adult, because they are so sensitive. I know when i was about 12 or so i broke the tooth off of our 892 because i was to lazy to put a ripper on to rip the rock! So my dad gave me a grinder and i spent all day grinding and gouging it out for the new tooth and also had to pass rod to our welder. I felt like crap for doing what i did but i also felt alot better when i helped make up for my stubborness, and it also taught me how to welld.
My little boy isny a year old yet but I cant wait to take him out and let him learn how to run heavy equipment. He's probably going to start on the mowers and work his way up. I was running my family's tractor when I was six or seven.
I think teaching youngsters is good, but in the proper place and time. On the farm or relatives land. A commercial jobsite?? NO WAY. Reguardless of what we make think their abilities are, their lack of experience is dangerous, not to mention think of what OSHA would say. Anyone that has been in this business for very long can look back and see what they have learned, and the many things that could have gone wrong but through sheer luck did not, and now having the experience to avoid those errors makes them the safe operators they are.
i am 13 and i have been going with my dad as since i was 1 year old stared operating when i was 9 wen i was littel i would go for rides in semis and to see our job site and ride in equipment i found this on picture of me when i was littel looking at a brocer for a cat 330BL i still like going with him
Alguien sabe como consigo un scanner tool Dr ZX ?
Look at this thread - dieselmax had one for sale a few months ago. Send him a PM. Or post a few more times so that you can start a new thread and then try again.
I grew up haying with my grandfather- I was raking (ground-driven) with the '72 JD 820 at the age of 8- big field going round and round in 1-4- can't do much damage and I learned to rake straight windrows early so that when I graduated to the mo-co and the baler a few years later I appreciated why straight was important. We put up the better part of 8000 bales every summer depending on the weather and I was the only operator in the crew who didn't kick any bales off the wagons one whole summer at the age of 14- never before and never since repeated in 25 years by anyone but me. Now my 11 year old son drives our New Holland TC33 boomer (seatbelt on of course, and the ROPS ALWAYS up) for plowing snow, york-raking and runs the backhoe on the tractor pretty handily. He also runs our Takeuchi TB070 on occasion and is smoother on the controls than either his father or I. Do I allow him to run anything out of sight of an adult? NO. Is he ALWAYS able to repeat back the job at hand before he starts so we're all clear on the expectations? YES. We have agreed-upon signals across the family as well as one signal that always means "Shut it down NOW no questions" for any unsafe behavior. We couldn't do the work we are doing without him so necessity became a good teacher and he's the ONLY 11 year old I know that I would trust within a mile of our equipment. We don't actually allow any of his buddies around the equipment when we are working because most of them haven't been taught any safety skills or situational awareness. We also do not allow our son to run any equipment off the farm. So a lot of words to say that some kids in some situations are good operators.