Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

110E and 110F Volvo Loaders

Silveroddo ยท 2025-02-16 11:36

Hey There, I'm on the search for a wheel loader and I'm seeing some 7-10k hour Volvo 110/120 E and F series machines that seem like they would fit the bill. The motors look to be D6E and D7E Volvo power plants. I don't know if the E series has them but the F series seems to be able to pull a "Mantis" report about the overall engine/machine history and health. Anyone have any experience or opinions about them? They're mid to late 2000's machines. They seem to meet EPA compliance with an EGR system, I can't tell if the F series had a DPF filter or not, from what I'm reading they don't but I'm not 100% on that. Basically just looking for reliability and support opinions on keeping them going. I've been around the newer generation than these and they seemed to be ok, one we had at work might of been a L90F and that seemed to be a pretty solid machine without any major defects. The newest generation with all of the emissions equipment was a little more problematic. My preference would be Cat but I'm having a hard time finding one for under $50k that gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. I notice a lot of these for sale with 15-20k hours so that's got me thinking they have some kind of support system and decent reliability.

Replies2
  1. #1funwithfuel2025-02-16 14:04

    E series was last of individual unit pumps feeding nozzle injectors. F series was the introduction of IEGR and common rail. The end of Tier III. The E was a huge leap forward from the clunky B,C & D series and the F was a big jump from the E. Either machine should be a good addition to anyone's fleet provided the machines maintenance has been adhered to. I have a fleet that has meticulous maintenance, the newest machine is an Early H series with 28k hours. All run strong with tight loader frames and turning joints. Matris is just a report showing the machine's utilization vs idle time. Time in travel, under light , medium or heavy load. How long it was run hot, under operating temperature or with low coolant. Matris is a good tool, but I wouldn't hang my hat on it.

  2. #2funwithfuel2025-02-16 14:08

    Find a dealer in your area , ask for the cost on a pre-purchase inspection and oil analysis of the fluids. Might cost a thousand or so, but a good investment so you don't get "taken" Good luck