Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

12 volt winch mounted to small dozers

304thomas55 · 2018-11-26 07:11

Has anyone successfully used a 12 volt winch on small dozer ? Say like a 450 Case.... I need to do some logging for myself, on the farm and it's on hillsides and such.

Replies18
  1. #1Wes J2018-11-26 15:23

    Those electric winches have very low duty cycles. I saw specs on one recently that was rated to pull 12,000 lbs, but the duty cycle was 5% or something like that. It could run a minute and a half at full capacity and then had to rest for 13.5 minutes. That might be OK to hang on some jeep that will never see more worse than a snowy driveway, but it's not going to do much logging. PTO or hydraulic are going to be a whole lot better.

  2. #2Puffie402018-11-26 17:20

    I think you would be disappointed in a truck winch on the back of a dozer. Their small drums mean they could not hold very large cables, so you will be always breaking cables. The Case 450 used a Gearmatic model 19 or 119 winch. A generic hydraulic winch might be easier to adapt.

  3. #3Theweldor2018-11-26 18:19

    I would think that if that 450 got some traction it would pull the drum right out of the winch! and... not even flinch

  4. #4Tones2018-11-26 18:20

    I have a Warn 12000lb hydraulic winch with 60ft of 1/2" cable. It pulls good but the huge problem is if I pull something with the rope while the winch is stationary the brake snaps. In Aust that is a $1000 fix. For logging give them a big miss. Superwinch have a better setup.

  5. #5Old Doug2018-11-26 19:55

    How far and how much weight. I always wanted a electric winch but didnt want to spend the money and not be happy. I got a pierce 8000 almost free it is a high end winch that could be used on a wrecker. It works good for short pulls i use it to pull junk cars up in my flat bed truck. If your not useing it alot on long pulls and dont use the winch as a drawbar it could be handy.

  6. #6DIYDAVE2018-11-26 20:40

    You might try a farmi 3 point hitch one, if you have 3 point hitch, and PTO, on your dozer...

  7. #7Wes J2018-11-26 21:37

    I saw a Case 1150 with a Carco winch. That was a beast of a winch.

  8. #8Labparamour2018-11-26 21:45

    Maybe use whatever winch you choose to bring the logs up to your machine then chain off the logs to hooks on an arch on the back of your dozer....let the chain take the pull. I've looked at the Farmi for my little 30hp tractor. I think the Farmi have slots to dog chains with grabhooks.

  9. #9304thomas552018-11-26 21:57

    Thanks for all the information and opinions. I believe Ill start looking for a PTO winch

  10. #10catman132018-11-27 00:47

    if you watch craigslist you can find all hydraulic winches off of semi equipment trailers for reasonable prices

  11. #11rondig2018-11-27 01:24

    Hydraulic winch way easier to hook up and not tractor specific

  12. #12304thomas552018-11-28 15:54

    Anyone ever plumbed a hydraulic winch to Case 450

  13. #13epirbalex2018-11-28 17:35

    One of my neighbours has a D21 Komatsu with a non dozer hydraulic winch on it , works via a diverter valve . Plugged into his tilt line . He has to get off the dozer ,open up a side panel door to change it over . It is then operated by his blade lever . I never looked to see where the flow went post winch . Its posible to get an electric operated valve so he would not have had to leave his seat but guess using tilt or angle when winching would not be needed and just a luxury .

  14. #14304thomas552018-11-28 17:55

    Thanks that sound like a good idea

  15. #15DIYDAVE2018-11-28 20:59

    If you don't have a PTO on your machine, you could drive a hyd pump, off of the front of the motor, and use that to add a fully live system. Or, if you have a valve bank, for other hyd functions, you can add a valve section, to that, for winch function. Any way you slice it, its gonna take finding a hyd winch. Once you find your winch, then you have to determine whether it will work with the flow and pressure of your system, or whether you will need a pump to mount on front. Do some research, on hydraulics, if you need parts, to cobble something up, check out Surpluscenter.com, they have an excellent tech help page, with hyd formulas, as well as sometimes stocking hyd winches, pumps, and other components... https://www.surpluscenter.com/

  16. #16old-iron-habit2018-12-01 19:04

    The slots on the Farmi are to hang your chokers that are not attached to logs. They simply keep the ends from tangling in your machine and to allow you to drag out the end one without most of them snagging along. They will not hold up to pulling from them.

  17. #17Labparamour2018-12-02 19:22

    Oh, I didn’t realize that. I kinda borrowed on that, though. I built a small A frame for my 3-pt. I welded on some grab hooks. I have some lengths of chain w grab hooks on one end, slip hooks on the other. I’ll hook the chain onto the lowered A frame then, raise/skid the logs. Little 31hp New Holland. It’ll drag a couple 18”dia, 20’ long cottonwood logs nicely. May eventually put a winch on it but still dog chains in hooks.

  18. #18motoOzarks2018-12-02 22:15

    nice tech tips