Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

12000 lb excavators

Cat E70b ยท 2015-06-15 17:46

What types of jobs do you guys prefer to do with your 12 k midis ? what jobs are they productive at ? I am considering this size machine for small residential jobs such as septics and small basement digs. I believe its about the biggest size I could float behind my truck,its a gmc 5 ton with a gas engine and juice brakes I have run a cat e70b and a 305cr in this type of work in the past I just would like to hear others thoughts thanks.

Replies2
  1. #1lumberjack2015-06-15 18:16

    I have a Kubota KX057, bought new in Dec, 2013. It's got ~530 hours on it now. Here's a link to the videos I've put up on my two channels. Last week I dug ~1600' of trench for a friend's water line. As soon as I have time this week, I've got another 1k' of 4'+ trench to dig for their power line. I primarily use the excavator for doing tree work, which I also have a felling grapple saw to help with. All in all, it's a very handy machine and a very handy size. I can haul it in the dump trailer with a compact wheel loader or stump grinder, which is handy on tree jobs (usually less than a day, mob in/out ~4-5 pieces of equipment (excavator, lift, grinder, loader/forwarder in one shot with 2 trucks). https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnj0o7fheTq8QKdJveuNLzHznjMBu3MCC

  2. #2KSSS2015-06-15 21:32

    I have a 13K Taki. I do septics, full depth additions, and so forth. I think they are absolutely productive. I have had one since 03. I would not be without a mini in this weight class.