Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Isuzu Diesel no start IHI 30 NX

JD8875 ยท 2015-06-15 08:36

I have an 03 IHI 30 NX that I have owned 4 years, it has 1820 hours on it. Never had any trouble out of it until this spring it has developed a nasty habit that it doesn't like to start. The engine (Isuzu 3LD1) turns over and you can hear each cylinder come up to compression and it will puff a wisp of white smoke from the exhaust. You can crank it forever and it won't start. Add the slightest bit of starting fluid through the air filter and it fires right up. Once it's running it will then start all day long with no issue or chemical assistance. Once the engine is cold again it's back to square one. This winter I tried starting it on a very cold morning and killed the battery so I figured maybe it was low voltage. Replaced the battery and both terminals. Air filter is clean, oil level is good and never been ran low, compression seems good, changed the fuel filter and found a small air leak on a fitting on the filter block. Replaced o-ring and solved that problem. Still no luck. Maybe I cooked the starter trying to start it cold. Pulled the starter and pulled it down. No burnt spots on the armature, brushes are good and intact, bearings are good, cleaned it up and put it back on, no change. My last thoughts are injector pattern, injector pressure.... I'm open to thoughts and opinions of where to go from here. John

Replies11
  1. #1Delmer2015-06-15 23:19

    Are there glowplugs?

  2. #2JD88752015-06-16 09:49

    Machine has glpw plugs in the head, they cycle and function. Sorry forgot that part. I'm at a loss with it. I don't think its a major mechanical failure because when you start it on ether it rakss the slightest amount possible and then it runs great. Thanks John

  3. #3JD88752015-06-16 09:59

    Machine has glow plugs in the head, they cycle and function. Sorry forgot that part. I'm at a loss with it. I don't think its a major mechanical failure because when you start it on ether it takes the slightest amount possible and then it runs great. Thanks John

  4. #4Delmer2015-06-16 14:22

    Meaning they are getting voltage, AND you've checked their resistance? Sorry, if it's not glowplugs, then I can't help much. Would seem like a tiny bit of air, but where? Unless there's a start enrichment/advance function that's not functioning?

  5. #5JD88752015-06-18 03:10

    Glow Plugs are getting 12v to the top of the plug. Power cycles on and off with the key timer. Not sure about the resistance on em. I'll have to check that with my meter. Air was my thought at first, but I can't find another air leak, there's no bubbles being introduced into the filters. Little machine runs like a top once it starts. It doesn't miss or lay down on power which kind of led me away from air. I'm wondering if it hasn't got an injector with the nozzle ate out of it causing a poor pattern and not atomizing the fuel properly to start "cold." Once the engine has been running and build the slightest bit of heat then it fires right up first time. Thanks John

  6. #6purnong2015-06-18 04:57

    I agree, All the symptoms point towards glow plugs

  7. #7garyw2015-06-23 18:01

    Have you had the glow plugs out and tested them across a battery? I'd have to agree with the above comments regarding glow plug failure. How do you know the compression's good? Have you compression tested it? The symptoms you describe is also a classic sign of low compression although i'd check the glow plus first.

  8. #8rossaroni2015-07-05 21:27

    My 303.5 used to give me similar problems. It wouldnt start without ether cold, but would run all day and restart any time if it was hot. While mines a perkins and not an Isuzu, a diesel is a diesel... air, fuel, and compression make it go. Finally boiled it down to the engine not getting enough fuel to light off when cold. All my filters were new, so on a whim I took apart my lift pump and found this: So much tank rust that the lift pump diaphragm wouldnt move. System would lose prime, and no lift pump to make it up, so it would just crank and crank. Not sure if this helps, but I figured I'd throw it out there...

  9. #9JD88752015-08-26 23:12

    Finally got some time and determination on the same day. The glow plugs were all three defunct. Had power to all three and resistance. Couldn't find a resistance spec but that was the last thing in my diagnostic attempt. Ordered a new set of glow plugs through the local parts store. Dropped them in and the little Isuzu fired up on the first compression stroke. Thanks for the help guys John

  10. #10purnong2015-08-27 07:26

    Well done mate, It's nice when the fix ends up simple and cheap :drinkup

  11. #11thepumpguysc2015-08-28 10:53

    YES, well done.. THATS WHY I always tell folks to take them out and check them on a battery or battery charger w/ jumper wires. 1 or 2 bad GP's will cause a 4cyl. engine not to start.. Good job..