Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

120G trouble starting.

ToXicAcTion · 2023-07-30 09:35

I recently started running a 120G.it does matter if been running or sitting only way it will start is if either it.is the injector pump going bad or is it compression low.not sure the hours but they tell me it's a 84.

Replies20
  1. #1Welder Dave2023-07-30 19:57

    Does it run good and have decent power when it's running? Does it have any smoke and if so what colour? Is the air filter clean? Need to know a little history of how the hard starting began?

  2. #2Coaldust2023-07-30 20:06

    Welcome to the HEF, new fella. It’s tough to find a good blade hand. How does She crank? Is She cranking good? Cat makes a helluva grader. What’s your preferred cross-slope per-foot of lane width? My local grader operator likes to take my Mail box out two or three times a year. How many mailboxes do you take out?

  3. #3Welder Dave2023-07-30 20:27

    ????

  4. #4Coaldust2023-07-30 20:39

    Cheapest bid to the Borough for the road MX & snow removal contract. Legal marijuana, severe lack of operators, junk equipment, inebriated operators, no accountability, leaking hydraulic oil all over the cul-de-sac,..... grading the fines into the ditch.

  5. #5Welder Dave2023-07-30 22:17

    Are you referring to the OP? Your post's are rather odd and out of context with a hard starting grader.

  6. #6ToXicAcTion2023-07-31 09:27

    I don't take out mailboxes lol.abe cranks over good.thinking she just getn old

  7. #7ToXicAcTion2023-07-31 09:32

    It run decent.it won't idle so have to keep rpms up.i haven't seen any smoke.air filter is clean.i had to replace turbo but I really did t see much difference.im not sure how it began they go through blade hands every year or two so do really k no ow much history

  8. #8ToXicAcTion2023-07-31 09:33

    Not sure what you mean by op...it's not just a hard starter it will not start without shooti no g it some either

  9. #9ToXicAcTion2023-07-31 09:35

    I just took over this job most of roads have no crown so do now I've been cutting down wash boards and potholes...I get feeling they don't want me to do any crown build up lol

  10. #1056wrench2023-07-31 10:28

    I assume it has a 3304. Is it a pre-cup engine with glow plugs? If the glow plugs are not working, it will be hard to start. The glow plugs should be 24volt if i remember correctly. The 120G is/was an excellent machine

  11. #11Nige2023-07-31 11:06

    Is there a Serial Number on it.? It should be on the RH side of the chassis just behind the blade lift cylinder trunnion.

  12. #12ToXicAcTion2023-07-31 12:55

    I have to check on glow plugs but it won't start at all without either.with it it still cranks 3 or 4 revolutions before starts

  13. #13Welder Dave2023-07-31 17:06

    OP is you, original poster. I was referring to Coaldust. As far as the hard starting if it's a PC/indirect injection engine it definately needs working glow plugs. I'm not real familiar with Cat PC engines but the Kubota in my skid steer won't start without glow plugs and they caution not to use ether. I'd say the glow plugs not being used or not working is likely the reason for hard starting. Does it idle after it's warmed up? It might just be cold why it won't idle or idles rough until it warms up some. There may be a slight fuel restriction too. I think it may have a small screen in the fuel line that can plug but not sure where it would be located on your machine. On my track loader it's inside a hex fitting going into the lift pump.

  14. #14ToXicAcTion2023-08-01 09:46

    Thank you for info I will check the glow plugs

  15. #15ToXicAcTion2023-08-01 10:42

    No it won't idle period warm or cold.

  16. #16ToXicAcTion2023-08-01 10:43

    I checked and didn't find any glow plugs.3304 is the motor

  17. #17ToXicAcTion2023-08-01 10:44

    Yes is 3304motor but I don't see any glow plugs.

  18. #18ToXicAcTion2023-08-01 10:45

    I looked on both sides of block I didn't see any glow plugs

  19. #19Dave Neubert2023-08-01 11:07

    Sounds like the injection pump is wore out since it wont idle replace injectors to

  20. #20ToXicAcTion2023-08-02 04:10

    Ok thank you for the info