Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

125KW CVT CORP Generator

OldIronCanuck ยท 2025-03-03 20:32

So I just purchased a 125kw generator to run my old Cedar Rapids jaw crusher. It is a "CVTCORP varigen 125" it's powered by a Deere 6068HF485. It does need some repairs currently as well as the start/control panel is missing. It has a CVT transmission to drive the Gen end but finding the panel for it seems difficult, I emailed the manufacturer looking for the dealer but haven't heard back. If I can't get a replacement control panel I plan to remove the CVT and direct couple the generator. The CVT I believe requires the panel to control it. I could install a Murphy TEC-10 and be ready to test it. Anyone ever heard of these CVT transmission Gen sets? Thanks for any ideas!

Replies4
  1. #1MarshallPowerGen2025-03-03 22:37

    Never seen or heard of one until now, but that transmission in the middle just sounds like it could easily turn into a problem. You'd probably be ahead just direct driving it, sell the transmission and throw that Murphy, a Dynagen or Flight Systems controller in it.

  2. #2OldIronCanuck2025-03-03 22:46

    Yea, the transmission is definitely the most complicated part of the unit. It may already have an issue.. I will give it a thorough inspection before I commit to anything. Eliminating the transmission is my thought right now. I'll need to decide on a controller to put in, possibly a generator specific one. It's 480v 3 phase.

  3. #3cw4Bray2025-04-04 12:04

    CVT for fuel saving ?... Interesting, I'd think it would be simpler and cheaper to have a cylinder cutout for fuel saving. Or have six or eight windings / poles to switch in, in order to reduce the RPM. A solid state, variable speed drive sounds cheaper also.

  4. #4OldIronCanuck2025-04-04 13:02

    Yea, maybe why this system never took off. It's a 12 wire generator too. Engine has 3400hrs and runs great with the fancy smancy Dynagen pro600 controller. Took a few hours to remove the transmission which is in the scrap bin now, and rebuilt generator with new cross member. Excellent deal for me!