Do 12G graders w/out the Supplemental Steering system have a steering sensor? My control monitor has been defective for the past 7 years now and all we did was take out the fuse since all the lights would light up and the buzzer would sound. So here recently I got tired of not having the monitor work so I did a little testing. I borrowed the one from my brothers 12G (identical in every way and option) and stuck it in. Indicator 10 would always stay constantly blinking. I immediately referred to the service manual and found that Indicator 10 was a warning for low pressure on the steering sensor. Well I searched the book for a location on this steering sensor and only came up with the steering sensors that were put on machines with the Supplemental Steering system. Well, my G doesn't have it, so I tried a couple of things. I first noted that the light was only supposed to come on during low pressure because the closed switch would ground out the light. So I cut the wire in slot 17 of the giant connector going to the control monitor and grounded it to a chassis ground and the light still blinks. I know its the wire in slot 17 because I A. Looked it up in the service manual and it stated that indicator 10 was wired to wire #17 in the connector. B tested to make sure that I had spotted the right wire on the opposite side of the connector face by probing into the wire and measuring the resistance from the wire and the connector face which turned out to be 0.00 obviously The wire from the control monitor has 8.xx volts on it and I really have no idea on why its doing this. I put the new control monitor on for my G on and it does the same thing. So.. anybody got any suggestions other than "putting electrical tape over the light" :Banghead Thanks in advance!
Any ideas, comments or suggestions guys?
You're certainly on the right lines. Lamp 10 does go to pin 17 with a 417 grey wire and if you ground 417 grey, lamp 10 should go out. If the lamp stays on with both your's and your brother's EMS panel plugged in, there has to be an open circuit between pin 17 on the EMS and your ground point for 417 grey. Check to see if 417 grey isn't loose in the plug. I've had several situations where the locating tabs on the wire termination don't lock in and when you connect the multi-pin plug, the wire is pushed back into the plug and doesn't connect. Or it could be a loose termination, or corrosion. By the way, you don't have to cut the wire. Buy a 1516320 tool from Cat and you can take the wire out of the plug and then replace it with no damage. It will only be a couple of $.
Thanks Cmark, that makes complete sense! I'll see if I can wiggle or push the wire back into place. If it budges any little bit i'm on the phone with Cat and buying the tool you mentioned. I'll hopefully get back to you tomorrow with some results since nothing else is going on at work