Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

any reports on the new john deere grader

curb slayer ยท 2009-07-16 03:24

would like to know how the new john deere graders are holding up,any problems,are you happy operating them,any dislikes,fuel consumpsion,any one using the gp controls and how is the built quailty

Replies19
  1. #1Madcanadian2009-12-12 16:00

    Running a 872D. I have had very few problems as of yet. The only issue we have is the transmission. Starting to shift a rough. We have Brandt on the problem but no answers as of yet. Other than that very nice machine to run. 5300hrs and 42000km and no breaks or cracks.

  2. #29420pullpan2009-12-12 20:53

    i will get an opportunity to run on of the new Grade Pros in Feb cant wait! I have sat in one i think Deere has really done their homework.

  3. #3ovrszd2009-12-12 22:22

    Maybe an assumption on my part but I thought Curb Slayer was asking about the G models?? I'm curious as well.

  4. #4catd8t2009-12-16 13:32

    we have 2 2004 770 ch and 1 2003 772. but we just bought a 2006 772g before they changed the nose and the guy that runs it says it better then any cat he has run. we only do snow with ares and they do great. and to the price of a cat if i was in a place where i had to buy a grader it wouls be a deere anyday

  5. #5len7402009-12-16 19:11

    hey guys,running a new 870g deere. has plow, wing,rear scarrifier,dozer blade .nice machine .very solid and smooth .auto shift and auto diff work well when plowing.roading machine is alot nicer than old740 not much bouncing,steering is quick and responsive. all hydraulics for blade have agood feel and very smooth.lots of power and low end tourqe.cab is comfy esspecially heated seat!!!!. very quiet also, hope this helps any

  6. #6Drifter2009-12-17 18:03

    I look after a G and a GP. Both have been really good so far. What exactly would you like to know?

  7. #7Bellboy2009-12-21 01:01

    Its finally in S.A!!!! YAY

  8. #8ovrszd2009-12-22 09:37

    Personally, I'm interested in reports of using the armrest controls??

  9. #9tundraman2009-12-24 21:44

    problems with John Deere graders We own a 2006 772D and a 2007 872D. The 772 has had 3 turbos replaced, the engine dropped a valve in 2008 and had to have a rebuild. The transmission just blew a bearing and had to be replaced with a new one, it was completely demolished inside. The rad and after coolers have been replaced twice, fan hubs 3 times, fan belt idler twice. Also, numerous sensors, gear shift, and hyd. control actuators. Only 4900 hrs. on this unit. The 872D has had a new transmission after only 1000 hrs., 3 new rads and coolers, 3 turbos and 3 fan hubs. Also, numerous sensors and hyd. actuators. Only 3500 hrs. on this unit. These machines will not operate in cold snowy weather without a reversed fan, otherwise the engine, pumps and trans. become a block of ice. They both operate in the oil fields. We will never buy another John Deere grader again and we have owned a lot of JD machines in the last 20 years. Stay away from these graders unless you have a lot of money and time to spend!!

  10. #10Alberta2009-12-30 11:44

    Which part of the province are you at ? How is Brant's service ? We may be forced to consider JD for graders and I would like some feedback regarding their level of service. Thanks

  11. #11tundraman2009-12-30 13:06

    We are in Central Alberta, so we deal with Edmonton branch. The dealer has been good, problems are with a poorly designed machine and sub-par components that JD is using. We are now having electrical problems with both graders, no 12 volt power for 2 way or stereo. Brandt has told us that the power converters are failing, but not to replace with OEM. Just buy another converter and try to wire it in to existing harness. Another example of sub-par parts.

  12. #12plowking7402009-12-30 14:51

    That weird , I ran a 772d for two year and i have to admit i worked it hard, and i never had a problem with it except for brass and table shims. i was very impressed with it and the local brandt deal (calgary). not impressed with the prices they charged but thats for another post.

  13. #13tundraman2009-12-30 16:14

    What kind of work were you doing? We are grading and snow plowing oilfield lease roads in muskeg country. We are running a 770BH alongside and have never had near as many troubles in over 30000 hrs. of operation. I can honestly say that as an owner of these machines, I am not impressed by anything about the 772d & 872d's.

  14. #14plowking7402009-12-30 17:11

    i was doing commercial development, everything from ripping frost/hard pack to finishing pitrun and crush. when i was hauling material average day was around 2000 ton but that depended on the job as well.

  15. #15seanr722010-07-15 05:29

    Recently took delivery of a 770GP fitted with trimble GPS what a fabulous machine very easy to pick up the joystick steering. only has a few hundred hours on it so far but seems to be a good thing and best of all dont need to deal with the idiots at the local cat stealer

  16. #16WILDCAT2010-07-15 07:26

    G'day Curb Slayer, I test operated the GP 772, I was quite impressed with the build quality of it and with the way that the electric controls were on the seats, they were very comfortable and easy to adapt to. I felt that the cab could have been improved for visibily, but in my own honest opinion I felt that it was a better machine than the M series CAT grader. I had 2 other operators with me and they felt the machine really sizzled. I have looked around on the market and I feel that the Deere GP 772 would be like living the dream. Regards, WILDCAT (Keep it under the red and keep living the dream)

  17. #17loveak772024-11-04 18:08

    How well is this post aging? Looking and getting a newish pre emission machine and hoping to find as trouble free as model as we can.

  18. #18Welder Dave2024-11-05 04:03

    You should start a new thread with a more specific question. You're not looking for a new machine.

  19. #19loveak772024-11-05 09:12

    Specifically right now looking at a 2010 772G, but haven't kept up on grader tech much. Most preferred a T3 model and as trouble free as can be, was looking at a 2001 143H as well