Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

12V gauges in 24V system

Brandt ยท 2011-10-18 11:58

I have a Case W20B that was involved in a fire. Hydraulics and cab has been replaced/repaired. There are no gauges in it. I have a bunch of 12V gauges that I'd like to put in it but don't know how to bring the 24V system down to 12V. I was told that there is a reducing resistor that can be put in-line to bring the voltage down. Where do I purchase this reducing resistor?? Do I need one for each gauge or can I gang them all off of 1 resistor??

Replies3
  1. #1bunkclimber2011-10-18 12:18

    I'd shy away from using a resistor to limit your gage voltage,they are temperature dependent..a better way to go is with a voltage regulator,you can find them on eBay as well as Radio Shack.24volts in,12volts DC out.Just be sure to connect the regulator output side common to ground IF the regulator will allow it.This will let your gauges read engine functions with the ground(common)thru the engine block and frame as is commonly done.Of course if you're gonna measure 24V system voltage,you'll need to tap that directly,and not thru the regulator.Pretty easy to do,just pay attention to the common side connection,and protect it(fuse) it appropriately.

  2. #2jrtraderny2011-10-18 16:21

    You can get them right from Case that's how they used 12V gauges as OEM. jr

  3. #3fastline2011-10-18 16:33

    Agreed, if you MUST use 12V gauges, reach for a reg before a resistor. The voltage reduction from a resistor is a function of the current passing through it. The easier and smarter way to go is an automotive external regulator. Many are sold for motorcycle applications but you need to know how much power you need. gauges usually do not use much. I would take this route personally because they are robust and can be a common component for the entire system. Or, go get a 12V Delco alternator regulator and stick a heat sink on it, done!