Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hough H60 D Fuel leaks back into tank.

lenray ยท 2011-10-17 21:07

After this machine sits for a few days the fuel will have leaked back into the tank making for a more difficult start. Is there a check valve that is not working ???? Where should I put a check valve?????????????? THIS has the Cummins straight 6 diesel engine. thanks

Replies4
  1. #1willie592011-10-17 21:10

    What engine does it have in it lenray?

  2. #2lenray2011-10-17 21:14

    It has the Cummins straight 6. Sorry about that.

  3. #3willie592011-10-17 21:21

    Hmm, I'm not an experienced Cummins guy. If it has the Cummins PT pump on it, I think they use some type of gear lift pump, which would require a check valve, but I really don't know. Somebody here will likely give you some better advice.

  4. #4MGW2011-10-19 09:35

    Have a good look at both the suction and return lines. An air leak in the return line is a very common cause of the problem you are having. Best thing is to just replace any rubber sections of line. Many engines don't have a check valve at all; both suction and return are below the fuel level in the tank; as long as there are no air leaks on either side, it won't bleed down. I've seen the drop tube in the tank for the return fall off in the tank and cause this problem too. I 'm not a Cummins guy either (except for the 5.9) and I don't know what engine or pump you may have. The old 2-stroke Detroits have a gear type pump and *normally* don't have a check valve anywhere in the system. This works fine until you get a tiny air leak somewhere. Marv