I smoked a doe this week with one of my old fords, there was a group of 8 on the road, and I slowed down enough to bump one over and drag it a ways with the snowplow mount. Not even any fur on the truck. But I'm thinking 13 bison and there's going to be some damage. https://apnews.com/article/bison-animals-montana-984e7fa72f7ed6bfdf5a356676f87e6b
Gotta believe that left a mark..... Ed
I cleaned up a mess at Easton I90 in late 80's, 4300 IH hit 7 elk totaled the IH.
I could of used those here, alive.
it was really unclear if he hit the other two vehicles first, or what happened. I picture a couple of drivers seeing the bison and stopping, and the truck plowing through the whole mess. I didn't realize you don't get the shiny eyes from them like you do the deer. That's a scary little detail.
I've traveled that road this time of year. I'm thinking the road surface was 6" of snow pack so speeds were low. It shouldn't have been that difficult to see those wooly cows against a white background. A bison is a pretty solid animal, I agree there had to be substantial damage even at low speed. Since it was a herd probably no big bulls, just cows and yearlings. The bulls don't hang with the cows unless its mating time.
I've seen a semi (stock transporter) clean up a flock of sheep in the late 1970's, that were being herded up a road with no warning signage. The semi was doing over 100kmh (62mph) when he came around the curve in the road. He had no way of avoiding the flock, the road didn't have wide shoulders, so he just went straight through them. The flock contained about 340 sheep, the semi killed over 200 of them. Talk about a "bloodbath"! There were sheep carcasses for hundreds of metres. The worst part for the farmer (he was a client of mine), they were all top quality breeding ewes, and sheep prices were high at that time. He admitted he was a fool for not putting out warning signs, he just thought the traffic would be light on a Sunday, they only saw a handful of cars a day on that road, even during the week.
When livestock die on not causes from the land or the farmer, they are always top quality live stock
I've been on that stretch of highway. There are some long straightaway stretches with blind curves at the ends so I can understand what happened. There are also signs all over warning of wildlife on the highway and to slow down for it. Last time we drove it we saw deer, elk and bison all within ten miles of the town of West Yellowstone.
UPDATE: Several bison killed in West Yellowstone vehicle crash on Highway 191 (kxlf.com)
There are stories from the 1800's of bison derailing steam locomotives. Sometimes the train would have to wait for hours for a herd to clear the tracks.
Same with used car salesmen And lots of others there's is always best!
There is a small zoo there in West Yellowstone that has two or three grizzly bears, several wolfs, eagles, small preditors and vultures that can use a fair portion of that meat. Problem is the grizzly bears might be in hibernation till April.
But at least you guys don't have to contend with elephants........ https://www.railwaywondersoftheworld.com/rhodesia-railways.html
Bison is a very unpredictable animal! No one knows where it will go and what's on his mind!
Moose are like that here. They travel alone, but if you hit one, you're going out on the wrecker. Their eyes don't glow either. Something else for protesters to blame trucks for. Watched a video of protesters drilling holes in truck tires in the UK for hauling milk and exploiting cows.