Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Buying F650 Advice

LOC · 2022-12-31 04:34

I’m looking to purchase an 01-03 F650 for multi purpose personal but most importantly towing our custom built mobile store stage trailer. I preface this bc the way it was built makes the curb side significantly heavier then drivers side so an awkward tow. Trailer Specs: 24’ long 8’ interior height 12k lbs up to 14k fully loaded F650 big enough? Any way of making the truck a more “comfortable “ highway ride for long hauls? Pros and cons of 01-03 F650? What should I look out for while inspecting the trucks? Thanks y’all!

Replies9
  1. #1cfherrman2022-12-31 11:25

    I tow stuff like that with a 3/4 ton with a gooseneck so that definitely should be plenty fine, just having the right hitch and loading are important. The f650 I believe still use the super duty cab and if so you can put seats from a 99-11 super duty. Cost, height, look, power, and fuel economy are probably possible drawbacks, but if it's got a Cummins that's better.

  2. #2LOC2022-12-31 12:07

    See door jam sticker.

  3. #392U 34062022-12-31 12:35

    More than enough truck for what you're doing. Most modern 1 ton should handle that weight. An F650 is far better equiped to work than an HD pickup.

  4. #4Steve Frazier2022-12-31 12:40

    If you've already got one in particular picked out this won't apply but the longer the wheelbase, the smoother the ride and better handling while towing. If you wanted to go crazy you could switch the rear axle to air bags. That's plenty of truck, should do a good job.

  5. #5LOC2022-12-31 12:42

    Thanks for the comments y’all! Have a few I’m considering. The one with the door sticker has an 11’ utility bed behind a crew cab so a little bit of an extended frame.

  6. #6LOC2023-01-01 14:26

    This particular 650 was a bloody mess. All rusted out that it wouldn’t be safe to drive it back home. Hard pass, still looking.

  7. #7cfherrman2023-01-01 14:28

    One thing I just thought about is you are in cdl-a territory with any truck over 10,000 on the door

  8. #8Coaldust2023-01-01 21:38

    LOC, Do you want juice brakes or air brakes?

  9. #9LOC2023-01-02 07:57

    Either works for me.