Working on my 1971 Pettibone EL88 "telehandler" (they weren't called those back then...). The machine has Goodyear 14-00-24 split rims. The tires are tubeless but all have tubes. At some point in the future I am going to want to put new tires on the machine, and would prefer a tubeless installation. My concern is the condition of the o-ring grooves on the rims, they are very rust pitted, to the point I am not sure an o-ring would seal. Even if I had to go with tubes, I am concerned about the locking ring groove on some of the rims, very rusted and not all the grooves are straight anymore. Someone beat on these rims and deformed the locking ring grooves. If rims get this bad do people weld up the grooves and re-cut on a giant lathe or is that a no-no in terms of safety? Should I try to hammer the deformed grooves straight? I only see new rims online like this that are Made in China, no thanks, I'd like to fix these up the best I can if possible...
I'd just put tubes in the new tires and let it roll. I haven't had great luck with o-ring split rims once they get old, they tend to have lots of slow leaks. I don't see a downside to tubes in this application, you aren't going to plug these tires, and they aren't duals where you want to be able to limp home with one flat.
If you want to run tubeless use a sealer inside takes about 2 gallons it takes care of those o ring leaks and nail punctures
I have a 48-31.00/20 that keeps getting o-ring leaks. I have started using Slime in some little tube tires (presswheels) with great results. I thought about dumping 5 gallons in this tire to see if it would help, but wondered if it was worth it.
I got some from my tire guy its better than slime I will look and see what it is in the morning it has particles in it and he even recommenced scooping it out and reusing when you change tires also had him get the hand pump to put it into an inflated tire I have been using it in all my grader and packer tires and it completely stopped o ring and bead leaks
I have used stuff like that in the past, with particles in it, pumped it in the tire with a hand pump. It's kinda disgusting and messy. I think for these I'll go with tubes. However my main concern is the rusty and deformed lock ring grooves, can I trust the lock rings will stay in place? Also, the lock rings need to be replaced as they no longer have an overlap, but I can't seem to find any new ones online, part number is LR1024TG. Any ideas where to get new rings?
http://www.wheelsnowinc.com/catalog/viewItem.php?id=3 Seems like the last one I bought for a Cat grader wheel was about $80 at the dealer
Jonas304 do you happen to remember the name of the sealant ? Thanks in advance. Edit- Sorry I see now you were going to check in the AM.
Many tire shops in my area flat refuse to even dismount a Tube Type two or three piece rim. Insurance is becoming prohibitive to even have the monsters anymore.
Looks like sts tire seal is what we've been using around $20 a gal it is messy and disgusting but has saved a lot of money We dont always park at the shop showing up to find a flat on a grader is even less fun at 2 am -20F and blowing snow trying to intake the air hose and hope it works
Similarly when the tire guy shows up at 3 AM at minus 30C to repair a grader flat he is usually happy to see a 3 piece rim as opposed to a “pry over”. Thanks for sharing. Going to order some.