Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1400b / 3cx backhoe exhaust starting to smoke

casey518 ยท 2022-07-29 14:15

My jcb backhoe started smoking a bit the last few weeks. Smoke does not clear up when engine is warmed up. Smoke is grayish maybe slightly blue and does not smell of glycol. Oil level is full but not over full. Only Been about 70 hrs since I changed the oil, oil filter, and fuel filter. Maybe an injector or pump problem? Engine sometimes surges/pulsate at idle although not lately. Thanks for any guidance.

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies4
  1. #1casey5182022-07-29 16:27

    I have also hit the block with a heat gun and do not appear to have any colder cylinders.

  2. #2Delmer2022-07-29 17:55

    Since you have a heat gun, check the exhaust manifold for a cold cylinder. And check the head or water jacket part of the block once the engine has been working hard for at least twenty minutes. Have you added new fuel around the time it started smoking? anything else happen odd? check the air filter? Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it too much, doesn't look too bad.

  3. #3casey5182022-07-29 19:42

    I checked the air filter today. I actually also replaced both intake elements with the other filters I mentioned. I'll check the Temps again when the engine is good and hot. I checked after it idled for several min and they were all within a few degrees of each other. I know it's not terrible but I don't recall it doing that before. Just really wasn't sure if it was excessive or not. Thanks.

  4. #4casey5182022-07-29 20:40

    Video of idling https://youtube.com/shorts/Pkv3h4UYDCc?feature=share