In a prior thread, I mentioned the need to remove the hydraulic tank covers however, at the time, I didn't realize they were tank covers, I thought they were access holes to the hydraulic pump! Thankfully, I only cracked the bolts loose and tightened it up when I saw oil starting to weep out!!! On the schematic is part#15, number 32/901300. I called the dealer to get the main strainer, gaskets (of which are no longer available) and this part. Then, they informed me the cost of this strainer is $432 and I about fell out of my chair so, I cancelled that part of the order. It was a knee jerk reaction..... but I DO want to replace it. I've had this machine for 20 years and never knew it existed so it's probably due. (ya think?!) Can I pull it out and clean it sufficiently? Are (what appear to be) off brands going to work sufficiently or are they going to be made in china, get wet and get sucked into the system?!!! VERY hard for me to justify $432 for a filter but then.... just as hard to pay several times that for a new pump. What are acceptable alternatives, if any?
Side question.... if #16 is the suction strainer and there is a 12" long filter in the engine compartment, what exactly is this one doing??
I believe that strainer is a steel screen. If it looks clean I wouldn’t bother with it.
Rarely are strainers ever replaced. Not only are they super duty filters, but they are designed to cleaned repeatedly as needed. Sometimes they get plugged up so badly the screen will rupture. That is the only time they need to be replaced. There usually are no substitutes for the OEM screen. I wouldn't trust one if there was.
gotch, thanks!!
Please look at part #15. It is a strainer. It is in addition to the suction filter. I got down to tearing into this thing a week or three ago....and what I found is: 1. JCB no longer makes the seals to replace when you take the round side covers off!! No biggie, I had to make some. 2. I bought the suction strainer (don't recall when) and it has been sitting on shelf 'until the day' (that day came a couple weeks ago when I discovered the main pump pressure hose had a pinhole leak and needed replaced. So I chose to use that situation to drain tank and start this process) 3. Drained the hydraulic fluid....took side covers off only to discover the suction strainer DOES NOT EXIST in here!!! Somewhere prior to me buying this (20 years ago) someone removed it. So was double glad I had a new replacement to put back on. 4. The bolt to hold it on is a 3/8ths fine thread and appears to be 4 1/2" however, I won't know until I actually try to fit it. NOBODY near me, not the box stores, not the fancy "if we don't have it, you don't need it" store.... had this bolt in 4 1/2". I finally ordered FIVE of them on the internet, gave four of them to a machinest friend of mine in case he has future use. 5. Come across this pesky part 15. I gently grabbed it to see if it pulls or twists....so far, it is solidly attached. I look it up on internet and the threads don't make sense with how it appears to attach BUT, it's back in behind the walls so hard to see. Need to get my borescope in there to see if it will help. Anyone know if it simply unscrews? If I can clean it I'd prefer to just remove, clean and put back. I don't want to break it during that process! (I've got an innate ability to keep pushing.....until something snaps)
It unscrews. Got it off and not debating it.... replacing it. Not even going to try to clean it. I don't know how old it is.... given the suction strainer was missing "someone" has likely been in there since date of manufacture.... still.....this thing looks like it could have been original. It's heading to the trash but, now we know! #15 screws on.