Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

140G-one tire not pulling

d9gdon ยท 2012-03-04 18:56

I don't know when it happened, I have run it for about 5 minutes. I could tell it wasn't pulling right. Doesn't make any noise of any kind. I had a 120G to break the spindle one time, but the wheel fell off immediately. I know the chain is still good and tight. Is there a key on a shaft that could be stripped? I know that the diff lock is working.

Replies12
  1. #1grandpa2012-03-04 20:38

    I'd bet its a broken axle.

  2. #2JDOFMEMI2012-03-04 21:09

    If it is a broken axle, and you unlock the difflock, it should not move. Lock it again, and the unbroken side will drive.

  3. #3grandpa2012-03-04 21:26

    the other wheel on the broken side should drive with a broken axle

  4. #4RDG2012-03-05 00:10

    I would think it would depend on which axel is broken, the one from the diff to the tandems would leave both wheels one the one side with no power or if it was an axel to the wheels it would leave one wheel with no drive. One would think there would be 6 axels in there some where. Cheers RDG.

  5. #5Bluox2012-03-05 03:04

    Aren't there two chains on each side? Bob

  6. #6d9gdon2012-03-05 07:00

    Yeah, the rear tire still pulls on that side. I would have thought that if the axle (Cat calls it a spindle) broke, it would break at the smaller diameter part on this side of the rear bearing (tire side) letting the shaft pull out and fall off. I can't remember if that shaft is splined onto the sprocket or if it's keyed.

  7. #7goodwin2012-03-05 18:16

    I have had a bit to do with broken axles(see some of my posts about the galion) if you break a spindle it will still drive on the sprocket until the wheel falls off, then you know for sure. you say the chains are all good, so my next guess is to look at the key on the spindle where it mounts to the hub(i presume the cat would be the same design) lift the wheel in question, turn it by hand,and watch the end of the axle, to see if it is turning. on the galion there is an idler sprocket between the axle and spindle(theres two chains per wheel) you may have stripped a spline there or on the axle, it should be easy to find if you spin the wheel with the drive box covers off good luck with it, ime off to put the new drive chains in one now! Goodwin

  8. #8Bluox2012-03-05 18:22

    I think the chain sprocket is bolted on the spindle,may have sheared bolts. Bob

  9. #9d9gdon2012-03-17 21:46

    I can't believe I'm this lucky. Had a flat on that tire the other day and they put a bunch of tire grease on it to get it to take air. The wheel was spinning inside of the tire. Just aired it up to 75 pounds and it started holding on the rim.

  10. #10clay digger2012-03-17 22:00

    Hurry out and buy a couple of lottery tickets!

  11. #11JDOFMEMI2012-03-17 22:27

    We should all be so lucky when things are not working that should be. Double up on the lottery tickets, go to the casino, something. You definately have the luck this time.

  12. #12d9gdon2012-03-18 11:11

    Good idea, I think I will just for the heck of it. I could buy some more brand newish equipment...