Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

140H Circle Drive Slip Clutch

I AM IRONMAN · 2011-06-08 14:30

I am operating a 2001 140H that runs excellent. The only problem I am having is that when I try going in fairly deep on the right side, the moldboard gives way. It is more a nuisance than anything else, because I have to stop and start over! Evidently the Slip Clutch is weak. Is there a good way to adjust it?:Banghead

Replies9
  1. #1hotrod49er2011-06-08 22:58

    Take the discs out, drill holes in them and bolt together takes care of the problem. No more slippage. Remove top cover (the small one) and tighten up the three bolts on top of cone spring. If problem still exist, replace disc both internal and external tooth ones. Might also want to check aluminium gear inside gearbox for missing teeth and worm gear.

  2. #2Randy Krieg2011-06-09 09:07

    Ironman All that is required to adjust the slip clutch is the removal of a preload shim or shims. Remove the cover, remove the bolt holding the spring retainer plate (one turn at a time until the spring pressure is off), lift off the retainer, remove a shim and put it back together. If you can get your hands on a depth gage there is a factory preload dimension, which you measure from the top of the collar to top the top of the shim stack. If I'm in the shop I use the gage if I'm in the field I simply remove a shim and run it, if it still slips I remove another shim and I keep doing this until it holds under a heavy ditch cut. I would not recommend removing a bunch of shims at once or bolting the stack together. Otherwise the next thing you'll be dealing with is a broken bladebeam or aluminum ring gear. The slip clutch is a great feature; it is designed to be adjusted by simply removing shims and has saved many a broken rib or other part! Regards, Randy

  3. #3I AM IRONMAN2011-06-09 20:04

    Hi Randy Thanks for the tips on making this adjustment! I will follow your suggestion to the letter. I started looking for information in the forum and thought there would be quite a few people that have had problems with the Slip Clutch, but I could hardly find a mention of it ever needing attention.........must have had some very good engineering! The H was one very fine machine, wish they would have kept more of the H design.

  4. #4I AM IRONMAN2011-06-09 20:06

    Thanks for the tips hotroder!

  5. #5smoothoperator2011-06-09 23:41

    You don"t want to disable the slip feature. The heavy shaft that mounts the circle drive pinion is breakable, especially in sub-zero weather. I had an early 140G and clipped an almost buried I-beam, and snapped the shaft. My 143H, with no slip clutch, snapped two. One found a rock hiding in a snowbank (<6mph) and the other just got tired while pushing over some soft piles of sod. Follow the recommendations given, and it could save you $1,200-$1500 in the future. smoothoperator

  6. #6I AM IRONMAN2011-06-22 10:16

    I appreciate all the tips guys! I couldn't believe how easy it was to adjust the Slip clutch, just took a couple of shims out and put it back together(10 min. or so) and the blade holds solid! Thanks for the help!

  7. #7Nige2011-06-25 09:28

    Here's the procedure to adjust the circle slip clutch ........ straight from the manual. Remove cover (8) . Remove three bolts (5) and plate (6) . Measure the distance from the top of spacer (7) to the top of shims (4) . The top of spacer (7) must be above the top of shims (4) . The distance between the spacer and the shims must be 2.30 ± 0.25 mm (0.091 ± 0.010 inch). Add shims or remove shims in order to achieve the correct dimension.

  8. #8Nige2011-06-25 10:58

    BTW I'm assuming the discs/plates in the slip clutch are in good condition before you start adjusting.

  9. #9bradhy2011-07-06 18:49

    it seem needed re adjustment, see and follow instruction operators and maintenance manual topic 'adjust circle drive or add remove circle drive shim'