Hi, am new to the forums so hello. I have a 140h 2003 vhp, and am getting a squeaking sound from the rear of the grader, especially with turning. I know I have a bad center pin on the machine. Can this sound be contributed to this? Thanks for the help in advance. Kidd.
We need to pick your brain first. A little history of your machine- hours, type of work it has done, service/maint. program, oil sampling, etc. You said "especially when turning". Is the noise happening while straight frame turning, or while articulating into or out of a turn? With loaded blade or empty? Have you had a chance to have someone walk alongside (safety first) or operate the machine while you walk and listen. Could easily be your articulation joint bearing/bushing, or it could be a binding pin/bushing in an articulation cylinder. Non-greasable, the front end of the cylinder goes through more travel, and sometimes hammers out, while the rear can actually seize and generate some strange noises while articulating. With more information, some of the operators viewing this forum will come up with some good places to start your search. Good luck! smoothoperator...crazy comments welcome
Thanks for the reply. About the machine, I recently got it at the end of march with roughly 10700 hours on it. I hadn"t noticed the squeak in the cold weather at all when demoing it. Now that the hot weather has rolled around there it is. The noise sounds like an ungreased pin, definitly located right around the center pin. I haven't had a person walk beside me yet, do to I work alone maintaining 60km of private road, and have do all repairs and matinence infield. Unless big of coarse this should be the first one. Oddly enough I noticed after washing the machine, the noise didn't return till mid afternoon. You can also notice a change in it when ingaging the diff locks and slowly turning as well. Blade full, no noise at all, roading is fine to. The grader was an md grader that was traded off, oddly enough before they traded it they Did the motor and trans. I'll check my books for the bushing. This sound is with out using the articulation cylinders. I'll see if I can possibly pop a video up tomorrow evening, with the cab door open the noise is quite noticeable. Thanks.
Ah but does it make it while not steering but using the articulation? It could still be the pins for those cylinders. When you road the grader do you notice that it wanders around a bit in the lane? That's usually a sure sign one of those pins is worn out.
get some spray lube (WD40 or CRC) and spray one pin at a time and that is an easy way to tell which one is noisey, sounds like you got a worn bearing spinning somewhere in the hitch or artic ram pins
Ok I will have have to do try the wd40 in tomorrow morning. Today, while steering mainly with the articulation, the squeak seem not occur when at about 50% or more articulation in either direction. Am really guessing there the pins holding the articulation cylinders inplace.
That's what I'm thinking too.