I'm looking at a 140H grader and it is in need of a transmission. I'm not sure how bad the transmission is inside, they're just saying that it is toast and needs a new one but hasn't been pulled from machine yet. Any idea what the cost is for a reman unit?
Got a S/N? One of us can look through SIS and give you a worst case scenario.
Did they give you any clue what the symptoms were.? Missing gears, locked up mechanically, etc, etc.?
Zero clues.
APM03642 - DOM 15 June 2017. There does not seem to be a Cat Reman transmission available for the 160-2196 but I suggest you confirm that with the dealer. 160-2196 is a P/N has been around for probably 25 years now and if there was anything majorly wrong with it there would have been an update. There hasn't, so that tells you a lot. How many hours is on the machine right now.? Can't be that many. These transmissions normally don't explode if they fail, they lose one or more clutches (burned), or have electrical problems associated with the control valve. They aren't that difficult to repair. EDIT: The last changes of any sort to the transmission were in 2007, so what was in the machine as-built is the latest available specfication .
My sources show that machine as manufactured in 2007. I don't show it in my inspection records so I assume its location is out of state somewhere where you can't easily go look at it?
Sorry I hit a wrong key - the DOM is 15 Jun 2007. Comments regarding transmission upgrades still apply. The last upgrade was March 2007.
Not sure what exactly you're looking for in a grader but Robby is looking to sell his 140G AWD, I have run and serviced it for the last 7 years or so so know everything that has been done to it. It don't need much at the moment, it's a nice grader.
I ask my son I asked my son and he guessed 40-60K for a rebuild didn't know if any recon are available. If the old one has a lot of damage to the hard parts you will have a core charge on a recon unit. Bad Bob
Thanks guys, sounds like I'll pass.
While I will grant ya that the operators in my world did not work their mosheeens like the contractors do, I gotta offer this- I had a dozen 140H graders that I was charged with for a decade plus. Never saw a tranny issue that was not related to shift solenoid failure. We never bought a tranny, but damn sure did buy a few solenoids.