I'm considering buying a Huber M850A. Any idea what year it is? Anything specific to check for? It seems to be in pretty good shape. I didn't take a picture of the hour meter but I think it was around 1300.
I wouldn't trust the hour meter but it does look to be in good shape. It looks to be a lot less complicated than a conventional grader so repairs and maintainence should be easier. It would be great for doing driveways, parking lots and other basically flat grading operations. I wouldn't think it's really old, mid 80's looking at serial numbers of a couple others on Machinery trader. It looks like they still make them. Contact them and they should be able to tell you what year it is. Huber Maintainer Specifications | Westernhubersales.com
They were pretty common around here during the 80s with small paving companies. Most of them have switched to skid steers for driveway prep and I don;t see them so much anymore. Can't help with your questions but it's good to see one being put to use.
Thanks for the advice. Seems to me that it would be so much better than a skid steer for grading driveways because of the tilt/angle/side shift blade. Still not as versatile as a regular grader though
They are about 1/4 the price of a full size grader.
I did end up buying it. Does a pretty good job! Dave, you're right the hour meter doesn't work.
It should do a great job for you.
I'm trying to fix the fuel leaks on this (among other things). It's leaking from the bottom of the injector pump. I'm thinking the gasket or whatever seals this odd shaped piece to the bottom of the pump housing is leaking. Is it ok to take it off and reseal it, or will parts fall out and I won't know how to put it back together? Or, maybe it's leaking from the round end cover and dripping down onto the other part. Hard to tell. This is a Perkins engine but I don't know anything else about it. There are some numbers stamped on the side of the block.
Well I took the end cover off. Looks like there's a rubber seal in there. I guess at almost 40 years old (if it's original) it decided to leak.
I have a 60s model with Continental 4 cylinder. Works ok. No idea if parts exist. The moldboard needs help, it's floppy.
I was able to seal up the end plate assembly. With some research, I discovered that this appears to be a CAV DPA pump. Attached is a diagram that I found which is quite similar. The odd shaped piece on the bottom that I mentioned earlier is still leaking, though I think I've fixed all the other leaks. According to the diagram it is the "advance device". I guess I'll be taking it off next chance I get and try to seal it up.
The next most obvious fuel leak is coming from the fuel shutoff shaft. This pump doesn't have the hydraulic governor as shown in the above diagram so it looks a little different. The picture below shows the fuel shutoff shaft. Does anyone know what type of seal the shaft has?
The pumpguy knows what you need and the part numbers but if I recall you can't buy them separate. You have to buy a kit. I had the same thing happen on my tractor. The kit was about $65cad. if I recall. Apparently there are some online sellers of just the parts you need for about $10 which would save you some $$ since you're in the US. I think you need the seal and a new cover gasket, maybe something else. Need to pay attention how it comes apart and put it back the same way. Be careful not to disturb the little spring that can go in a few different holes under the cover.
I got in touch with Huber, they still have some parts.
It might be cheaper going through a Cav distributor or online if you need injection pump parts.
Pump parts are available through a Deere dealer. Look at the parts breakdown for a 2150 tractor—that is one aplication where Deere used the CAV pump. They refer to it as “Roto Diesel”. Two o-rings on each shaft and a washer under each nut that holds the cover on. Add a gasket under the cover and you’ll have all you need. Keep things clean, and pay attention to which hole the spring is assembled in. Several good videos on you-tube that you should watch before you dig in
Perkins used a lot of Cav pumps and Massey Ferguson may have parts but like I found out and was informed by the pumpguy you can't just buy the individual parts you need from a tractor dealer or Cav/Delphi distributor. You have to buy a kit or look for a smaller kit with just the parts you need on E-bay.
4 of T24647 o-ring (Deere) A-T24647 (A&I part #) 2 of TT24599 washer (Deere) 1 of R5220622 gasket )Deere). A-R520622 A&I part #)
Good on JD for having the individual parts. Curious how much they cost compared to buying the complete kit knowing JD parts aren't the cheapest.
As with a lot of things, package quantity is the kicker. I think the o-rings were two in a package, I don’t remember the package size on the washers, and the gaskets were 5 or 10 in a package. M dealer added them to a bin location and then sold them individually to me. It helps that I used to work there, before they became a part of United Ag & Turf. Google the part numbers for a range of prices, but the gasket shows at about $34, and that sounds like what I paid. Pretty pricy, but they look like they are made of asbestos, and that price probably reflects special handling they have to do. The rest of the parts were reasonable, though.
Correction: The washer part number is T24599. I typed it wrong with two T’s. Sorry
Thanks for all the replies everyone. It may be smart to just buy the seal kit and do them all at the same time.
I finally smartened up and bought a seal kit for the whole pump.
A little progress here, a little there. How old do you suppose this new filter is?
What happened to the tag on the IP? It looks sand blasted or something.
Corroded
That's an odd place to be corroded that bad. Do thy use a lot of salt on the roads where you are?
Yes, more than a lot. But I'm guessing that tag got corroded from a mouse nest or something. It's close to the side cover and this machine sat for quite a while before I got it.
Interesting that these old Wix filters have the Dana logo on the box: I resealed the berm leveler cylinder since it would leave a puddle wherever I parked the machine. The rod is a bit banged up so I filed off the high spots and called it good enough. I'm not too familiar with these Perkins engines- does anyone know what this thing is? It appears to have one line connected to the cooling system and the other to the engine oil system.
After bleeding the fuel lines it fired right up and purred like a kitten. I was nervous about doing the pump myself but found some very useful videos that showed a lot of detail. Here's the first one:
Looks kinda like this Perkins 4.203.2 according to my book.
I think it's a 4-236. Very popular engine. Be careful watching video's on IP's. There are a couple the pumpguy says are wrong and keep him busy.
My bad.. that motor that I pictured is a 4.203.2. Just looks similar.
Dana hasn't owned Wix since early 2000s, so that filter is at least 20 years old I'd guess.
After watching Area Diesel Service rebuild pumps, I can't think of any I could do myself and be "good". The calibration bench is $$$$
What's the difference between a rebuild and reseal? I didn't replace any hard parts, just seals. However, it seems that I must have put a spring back in incorrectly because the governor doesn't seem to function quite correctly now. The RPMs drop down considerably under load.
I have same machine, same engine. One thing to check is the shaft from front of engine harmonic balance to hydraulic pump and air compressor. Found splines severely worn. Steiner tractor has shaft and hub.
Another view
Graded a driveway at a lavender farm yesterday.
I always thought lavender was made by magical ♂️ ♀️ or something. Never seen a grader like that. It seems to do a good job. In my experience, if it looks good, they always say that machine does a nice job. If it looks bad, they tell you you're not much of an operator.
My friends who who are into photography don't appreciate people who compliment then on a picture and then give all the credit to the camera.
Files must be huge. 2 mins and it's still only 1/2" loaded of 1.
Coaldust must be using all the Alaskan bandwidth for rabbit videos
My sister does about 4 acres of Lavender and has a whole weekend thing for everything Lavender. She makes big bucks on this weekend, they have a mobile butcher at the same time selling sides and taking orders. My wife goes down with her mother, it’s like a personal Farmers market and she spends some money. Add fresh Lavender to some homemade honey and sell a pint for 60 bucks, I am somewhat jealous.
Steer me not
I pillaged the old tie rod from my F550 to get me by temporarily: The taper was a little too big so I had to turn it down The steel was quite hard
Very resourceful!
Sometimes it pays to not throw out old junk!
Found info that may help. Huber Maintainer 701-204-7549 They are in Wisconsin.
its just a CAV LUCAS DPA PUMP any fuel injection pump shop have a kit.
I was talking about moldboard parts.
Looks like an oil cooler
Do you habe a part number for those parts? I can't find one the same size as the one on my machine.
This came up as an interesting possibility (except it sold already). I wonder how it would compare to the Huber. (Range of motion, etc)
That's how I make my bread and butter. The one im on now i have almost 4000 hours on. The older on has almost 6 that probably put almost 5. Next older probably same. They have their quirks, I use mine like a d8 sometimes. Best of all for you they are made in the US of A so no Tarrifs
It will load a tandem truck, moldboard angles, rolls ahead side shift. Never had a psi but it's pretty much a mauldin. Puckett is another brand. As well as Alitec
I thought it looked similar to the ones you run. It doesn't look like the moldboard angles any farther than my Huber. That's one of the main complaints I have with it. The loader on this sure would be useful. I wonder if the hydraulics flow enough to run my roller. How does it drive, gearshift or hydrostatic?
Each wheel has a hydraulic motor . High and low range push top of pedal to go forward and bottom to reverse. New machine is a potentiometer older ones cable, some have a linkage. Ours had auxiliary hydraulic front and rear. Bobcat attach front and rear