Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

140h water in transmision

LogDog · 2012-04-20 19:37

140H APM00666. Am getting fresh water, not coolant in trans oil. Trans oil level consistant,no loss of coolant, also no color in oil ,or sweat in fill tube. machine did have a small oil spot near lower pivot after roading 10 miles. My theory is its a low pressure thing . ie ring gear slings oil, and then when park Rain water runs in. can't see anything til get to shop and remove tanks, and clean between motor and diff housing. Other than fill tube and return hose, is there any other covers or threw bolts that may let water in to top of diff Housing? have parts book. but no service manual Thanks Roger

Replies5
  1. #1Randy Krieg2012-04-21 09:23

    Roger I had a little confusion reading your post or maybe I read something wrong since I just woke up. If everything is as you stated: No coolant loss, No discoloring of trans oil, Trans oil level consistent; what signs or visual are you seeing that makes you believe you are getting “fresh water” in your transmission oil ? If you’re getting water or any other fluid in the transmission then the level wouldn’t remain consistent? I’ll tell you my story and you can see if it applies. I don’t have my book in front of me so I’m going off memory, but I believe the APM prefix is a Tier II machine. Tier II machines have a fuel sump tank built into the bottom of the articulation hitch plates; the two saddle tanks drain down into the articulation sump and then the fuel is transferred up into the engine fuel pump. On the one machine we started gaining transmission oil at a really slow rate. Found out it had a small crack in the weld between the fuel sump tank and the differential housing “dog house”. Every time I would road the machine for long distances the differential would get warm and the crack would open just enough to allow fuel to get in the differential housing (the transmissions main oil sump) and it would show up the next morning that the transmission was gaining oil. Had to remove the tandems, finals and differential; then repair the weld inside the doghouse. Good Luck, Randy

  2. #2LogDog2012-04-21 11:05

    good morning randy yes my post was unclear, we use the red long life anti freeze, the trans oil is not discolored a redish tint which would indicate coolant in system. first suspect one would think is trans cooler, but oil pressure is higher than water pressure ie nothing in radiator. thinking it is getting rain water in the system, have machine in shop being tore down and area cleaned, will keep you posted. Thanks for sharing you experience on this model. Roger

  3. #3LogDog2012-04-24 23:33

    Problem solved! got machine in and cleaned up, removed fuel tanks nothing visible. Removed trans breather, and plugged in 10lbs of air and immediatly heard it leaking. turned out it was at the dipstick/fill tube, found a 3/8 flat washer between flange and housing leaving a gap don't know but appeared to be there a long time.

  4. #4Randy Krieg2012-04-25 08:33

    Roger That sounds like it will be a little easier fix than what we had. Thank goodness for that, some times it takes more time just to troubleshoot than the actual fix. What town are you near in WA. ? I lived in Oak Harbor WA. for about 22 years. Regards, Randy

  5. #5LogDog2012-04-26 20:07

    Randy I am 30 miles west of Olympia, Near McCleary. yes was an easy fix, glad to have it back online. thanks agian Roger