Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

My project: A 1957 Galion 603 grader

Reubs ยท 2012-04-21 19:05
Replies21
  1. #1562C2012-04-22 06:53

    Tell us more....

  2. #2Bluetop Man2012-04-22 09:29

    Well, it looks like it's worth doing right by. Are those 13.00 X 24 tires on the back? If they are, please tell me what size are the fronts, they appear to be a truck tyre. Might solve an expensive problem for me. Did I say tyre? Now ya'll got me doing it....

  3. #3562C2012-04-22 12:10

    Friend of mine put truck tires on the front of an old CAT about that size...

  4. #4tireman2012-04-22 14:19

    Looks like a small grader.I've done 8.25-20's on a small site grader before.Very well could be what we're seeing here.

  5. #5stinkycat2012-04-22 16:49

    If I remember correctly 40 and 50's Cat and Galion blades had small tires on the front The large front tires were a option.

  6. #6Reubs2012-04-23 06:03

    Hi guys, The old girl is a small 5 ton maintenance grader that has 7.50x20 tyres at the back and has 7.00x20 truck tyres at the front, I believe small graders like these had small front truck tyres back in the day, as they would normally have been used on small tasks and not much big heavy duty work.

  7. #7Reubs2012-04-23 06:07

    Another pic of the Galion

  8. #8KrayzKajun2012-04-23 08:35

    Nice machine! keep us updated.

  9. #9Reubs2013-07-19 22:14

    Hi folks, nothing much has been going on with the grader lately, but over the past week we have been removing the cylinder head as we suspected that the engine had a cracked head gasket, and we did Indeed find a hole in the head gasket after we removed the head, pics will be up soon If folks want to see them:drinkup

  10. #10mitch5042013-07-19 22:18

    We do

  11. #11Reubs2013-07-19 23:06

    Will take a couple more pics tomorrow and upload them

  12. #12Reubs2013-07-19 23:08

    View attachment 104961

  13. #13Reubs2013-07-22 01:51
  14. #14Reubs2013-07-22 01:53
  15. #15Reubs2013-07-22 01:56
  16. #16Reubs2013-07-22 01:59
  17. #17George catman2013-07-22 05:26

    Hi, Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks very similar machine I spent a lot of time working on as an apprentice and it was a 503A galion grader??

  18. #18Reubs2013-07-23 01:04

    Hi George, yes this grader is basically the same machine as the model 503, except that this Is a english built version and uses an english built IH bd264 motor rather than the american motors the u.s.a built examples tended to use.

  19. #19R.D.G0132013-07-23 17:47

    Gallion 603 I spent some time on one of those back in 70s when I worked for an outfit in Tauranga, we used it on small subdivisions and driveways etc, nice and light didnt break footpaths and the like. Has got the same motor as the BTD 6 dozer. Cheers RDG.

  20. #20Reubs2013-07-23 20:01

    Hi RDG Thats Interesting Information. What was the firm you worked for? as this grader used to belong to fowler sealing In Rotorua who used It on similar kinds of Jobs etc, and the grader now resides In Opotiki. Cheers Reubs

  21. #21R.D.G0132013-07-23 23:20

    I was with G A Renner Ltd and was mainly on dozers but did get on graders from time to time. The one they had was painted yellow and had no cab, not sure where they got it from or where it went to, I know it wasnt bought new coz they did it all up after they got it and kept it for many years after that . Cheers RDG.