Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

140m diff assembly

SCIearthworks · 2025-03-09 12:47

does anyone know what type sealer to use when reassembling the rear axle sections. It doesn’t look like anything was used when we took it apart and it wasn’t leaking. Is it just machined fit?

Replies29
  1. #1SCIearthworks2025-03-09 12:49

    Hears what I’m dealing with

  2. #2Nige2025-03-09 13:00

    Loctite 5188 apparently.

  3. #31466IH2025-03-09 13:01

    Without having my computer in front of me I would say there is either an O-Ring or it gets flange sealant. Leaning more towards the sealant

  4. #4SCIearthworks2025-03-09 13:10

    Thank you Nige you the man!

  5. #5SCIearthworks2025-03-09 14:37

    One more Question. How is the oil circulated between the diff and trans? It has a reman transmission and I’m hoping all the crud from the diff didn’t get pumped into the transmission

  6. #6Nige2025-03-09 15:27

    Go looking at the two suction screens #6 & #7. #6 is the suction screen for the oil coming from the diff. You'll probably find that full of shrapnel. If screen #7 has little or no debris in it then your transmission may have survived unscathed.

  7. #7SCIearthworks2025-03-17 14:01

    Thanks for all the help we got it back together the screen was absolutely plugged with junk but surprisingly the filers had almost nothing in them. Just a few speckles in the primary and secondary was clean

  8. #8Nige2025-03-17 14:15

    Not sure I follow you. There is only one filter for the powertrain AFAIK.

  9. #9SCIearthworks2025-03-17 14:20

    You may be correct on this machine there is 2 at the very back of the machine a large 5” diameter canister type and a 3” spin on . Both were marked trans filter with a paint pen. ?1G-8878 and 328-3655 both cat filters

  10. #10Nige2025-03-17 14:29

    Got a Serial Number.? I can check based on that. If there is a Part Number on the spin-on filter please quote that, and/or a photo of the flter location would also not go amiss.

  11. #11Nige2025-03-22 15:56

    The 1G-8878 is listed for the hydraulic system but nothing else. 328-3655 is the only filter on that system for the powertrain oil.

  12. #12Welder Dave2025-03-26 04:28

    Man that sure explains why the trans. needed rebuilding. Looks almost like you could measure it in pounds. Are those a piece of rod or a pin in the middle and on the right?

  13. #13SCIearthworks2025-04-08 16:31

    Well disaster strikes again after repairing the diff the second job it went to the transmission gave out. I pulled the screens and the one on the transmission was completely full of broken clutch material Oring pieces and a steel washer. That was a new cat reman too. What a stupid idea to share oil! Every piece of trash went in the trans and now the junk from the trans it back in the diff. This is almost 100k in repairs in one month! (Pulling hair out)

  14. #14Welder Dave2025-04-08 21:42

    What was the warranty on the Cat reman trans.? Seems like a lemon law or some kind of warranty should apply. This is a modern grader worth $500K! 1/5 the cost in repairs is ridiculous.

  15. #15SCIearthworks2025-04-08 22:08

    No warranty it was compromised by the blown diff and contamination of trans oil . It’s all our problem now

  16. #16Welder Dave2025-04-09 00:09

    Seems like it was under built and/or under engineered to have such substantial damage. $100K+ repair bill is a hard pill to swallow.

  17. #17Nige2025-04-09 11:04

    It's one of those things you file under the heading of "**** happens". In case of two components sharing oil (e.g. torque converter and transmission) if one **** the bed we would generally pull the other one apart as well, just in case. It's hindsight being 20/20 vision now but the clues were probably right there in the photo attached to Post #8. "Where did all this lot come from when there are no friction materials at all in the diff.?

  18. #18SCIearthworks2025-04-09 16:32

    I don’t know where it came from . We flushed the trans and diff 2x and 2 sets of filters . I was truly hoping for a brake but in the back of my head I thought this had to hurt the transmission. Maybe I should give John Deere’s blade a try as they don’t share oil ?

  19. #19Welder Dave2025-04-09 21:16

    I wonder how common of a problem it is?

  20. #20SCIearthworks2025-04-10 06:48

    It’s common enough to make me think seriously JOHN DEERE NEXT PURCHASE

  21. #21cuttin edge2025-04-10 13:28

    It's stuff like this that these guys wanting to buy equipment for personal use need to see. Not hard to spend a lot of money in a hurry. I shudder when I see what can go out in repairs sometimes.

  22. #22SCIearthworks2025-04-10 13:37

    Exactly and people wonder why job costs are so high (can you come down on price?) cat don’t come down on there prices!

  23. #2392U 34062025-04-10 21:44

    Meanwhile the majority of farm tractors in existence have a common oil shared between the diff, transmission and hydraulics. Farmers aren't exactly known for following preventive maintenance procedures either.

  24. #24Welder Dave2025-04-10 22:11

    A know farmers that don't even bother to clean quick connects off before hooking up implements.

  25. #2592U 34062025-04-12 13:44

    I was working on some ag stuff the other day that still had the factory filters on them from over 10 years ago.

  26. #26Legdoc2025-06-30 23:18

    I have a very small operation doing maintenance on gravel ranch roads typically 1/8 to 5 miles. I retired my 50 year old Allis-Chalmers maintainer that's tuff as nails, stupid simple and quite crude due to parts availability. That old girl shared no compartment fluids. I purchased a Cat 120H from TxDot with 7400 Hrs. It was deemed inoperable needing a tranny. I expected to have to overhaul the tranny and soon to throw the last Hail Mary pass going through the control valve group. I believe the Cat design is engineered for failure sharing fluids. Regardless of rebuilding the tranny I plan to investigate an additional filtration system for added protection of the compartments. I am terrified of the prospects of shelling a differential and tranny both.

  27. #27Nige2025-07-01 05:29

    There is nothing wrong IMO with the two components sharing the same oil provided that maintenance & inspection of screens is done on a frequent and timely basis - plus if something is found during PM then action should be taken promptly to discover the cause. Cat graders have shared the oil between differential and transmission since JC was a carpenter (the diff housing functions as the transmission oil pan). If there was something significantly wrong with that setup don't you think it would have been changed before now.? I would also add that using the correct type & viscoisty of oil in that compartment is also important.

  28. #28Legdoc2025-07-01 08:45

    Thank you sir! I'm depending on you to keep my OCD in check. You know the saying "when left to ones own devices"...

  29. #29Nige2025-07-04 16:28

    @Legdoc - Another thing you might well consider is to pull oil samples at regular intervals of the transmission oil on your machine.