After always having a muddy rutted mess in the spring I can actually drive up to the shop without making a mess. I added lime and built the low section up. Then I sloped it and made swales for the water to run off. Finally I added some large rock and a couple loads of road crush on the main driving path. Cost about $1500, $1000 just for the road crush but it's well worth it to have a usable driveway 12 month's of the year. When the ground completely thaws out I'll drive on it to pack it down and push any high rock's down.
Much better!!!! A road without drainage is a ditch. Nice work that you'll forever appreciate!!! This time of year I can drive around on my Township roads and clearly see the spots that need more drainage.
What's a load of crush worth these days?
It's $29.75 USD per Ton here in Missouri.
$550cad. for a load of 3/4" road crush. I had a truck and pup deliver 31.8 tonnes and they gave me deal for $1000 cash. It is really nice gravel. I think it is even smaller than 3/4". I was lucky I got it when I did because it got cold and snowed the next day. The driver was a little worried it might be frozen and not spread very good but it was all loose. It's too bad the gravel pit that brought the larger rock didn't have any road crush. If they had lots probably would have donated it but I would have insisted on paying something. They have really helped me over the years saving me thousands and thousands of dollars.
How far of a haul is it. That seems expensive.
$1000 Canadian is $700 USD. Here, with the gravel costing about $6.25 per ton out of the pile for a 30 ton load, I would haul gravel 70 miles one-way, all day, every day for that price.
Not that far to haul. I think maybe 20 minutes to half an hour at most. Gravel in Alberta is just stupidly expensive the same as concrete. The pit must be busy because it was a fairly new Kenworth and pup.
It's $225 for 1inch minus for 15 tonne. Then it depends how far plus tax. If you had your own truck, and went to our quarry it would be $258.75 for 15 tonne
Wow!!!! Your gravel is "dirt" cheap compared to ours!!!!
I think our problem is the same company owns every quarry within 40 miles of us. They totally rip us off......
Our gravel is a bi product of asphalt aggergate production. Once the rock goes through the jaw, it is screened off, and anything larger than an inch is put through the cone for stone and sand. For years, They wasted it over the side hill. This stuff won't pass government spec, as it's too dirty, but boy does it pack. Now a manufactured inch and a quarter minus, or a three quarter minus would be more expensive, but even asphalt millings are only $30 bucks a tonne. I guess another thing to consider is that there are 5 quarrys in the area as well
At the scale house or delivered?
Damn that's cheap! Dense grade base or 1.5" crush is $18 a ton across the scales. Another $5.50 and up depending on distance for the haul.
If I still had my Hino I would have picked up a few loads myself. The county was giving away some pit run a few years ago. Even if my dump truck would pass inspection it's not worth insuring and registering it for a few loads of gravel. I'm out of the city limits so would need provincial registration that is way more than if you stay within city limits.