Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

14A D8 question

david Thiemann ยท 2018-03-07 09:03

I recently purchased an old D8 dozer, after getting it home i discovered that there was water in the main clutch housing fluid. I changed the fluid and now the machine will not move. If i take the cover off the main clutch pump dump fluid down it sometimes it will move and drive correctly. I have heard that the gears in these pumps don't wear much but that the housing wears. Any one have any thoughts on what has happened to the pump?

Replies3
  1. #1d9gdon2018-03-07 11:23

    What kind of oil did you put in there?

  2. #2david Thiemann2018-03-07 11:35

    Originally I had put the equivalent of 10 weight TO2, but when that didn't work i drained it and put 30 weight T04 in.

  3. #3old-iron-habit2018-03-07 22:15

    The ACMOC BB has a lot of experts on the old Cat Machines. If you come up short here try your question there. My two favorite Bulletin Boards.