A video of the work done to blow a shipping channel in the Seymour Narrows between Vancouver Island and the mainland 1958 Ripple Rock by - NFB I'll have to get the grand kids over to show me how to post links
It is quite easy Tones. Go to Utube and locate the video you want to post. Then right click with your mouse cusurer anywhere on the video itself and you will get a popup screen that offers several options. Left click on copy video URL. Now open a thread post box and paste that URL into it and the video will be there for you. The video will show up as an https address but the actual video will be there when you either preview your post or if you just post it without previewing it. I just removed that video from my post so that you can do it yourself.
27 min Whole project 2 min Blast only 8 min Newer movie 2 min news segment with good overview Just an amazing undertaking. Thanks for bringing it up.
Maybe Tones can find another one to post.
Thanks Tinkerer, I will remember that. The video I saw was on the Canadian National Film Board archives site.
Reminds me of of ole blaster...
Just months before I was born Just a few miles up the road from where I live I drive past every day on my way to work. This was my fathers generation, turning the wilds of British Columbia into what it is today. Pretty cool stuff.
Interesting story. They might have gained inspiration from the WW1 battlefields of the Western front when British, Canadian and Aussie troops tunneled beneath German lines at Hill 60, placed some 990000 lbs/450 tonnes of explosives and detonated it.
I was 6, my parents took my sister and I up from Seattle to "watch." Dad was always interested in engineering feats like that. I remember hearing the blast, I think we were a mile or more away, so I do not remember seeing the blast. Local fishermen were out immediately scooping up fish. It was the biggest DuPont spinner ever used for fishing..