Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

150 year old cottonwood vs D8K

CatSkinner77V ยท 2008-04-28 14:23

Just some pictures of my old K knocking down a big old cottonwood... and some scrub.... last summer. Southern Manitoba Canada

Replies35
  1. #1CatSkinner77V2008-04-28 14:28

    Some more big tree removal pics, Pic of cattle shelter I pushed out of the middle of a bush. Pic of big hole i dug with with the cat to bury some stumps and junk.

  2. #2CatSkinner77V2008-04-28 14:32

    I added these pictures to a enviromental group on Facebook.... the replies were not very warm hahaha.

  3. #3Wolf2008-04-28 14:44

    nice push on the tree. did it come down pretty easy, or put up a fight. that's hilarious that you posted it on a tree huggers site. what did they have to say. LOL.

  4. #4Deere96702008-04-28 15:09

    Haha thats funny....whats the name of the group?

  5. #5Dirtman20072008-04-28 16:24

    ha ha sound like something I would do should have set it on fire too just for extra laughs Great pictures, nice idea of building the ramp to get higher up the tree.

  6. #6bushcat2008-04-28 18:13

    Just gotta love the black smoke rolling out the stack!

  7. #7Neil D2008-04-28 18:28

    Catskinner, Thanks for sharing these photos with us-thats a tidy tractor you have there!!! Neil

  8. #8CatSkinner77V2008-04-28 19:15

    yea that tree put up a bit of a fight, before i pushed the ramp I started by digging all around the tree trying to cut some of the major roots. Those old cottonwoods seem to have more heafty roots right on the bottom. So after an hour of pissing around digging at the bottom I thought I would try the ramp approach. It came down pretty easy after I got up 15 feet or so. 2.5 hours from start to finish after I dug the tree out of the ramp and leveled the ground all off again. The tree huggers just told me I should be ashamed of myself and doing what I do for a living is worse than prostitution hahahaha.

  9. #9CatSkinner77V2008-04-28 19:19

    haha, thanks alot. She wasn't that tidy last summer, it was in dire need of some TLC. 2nd gear in the transmission was slipping like a whore and the motor needed a rebuild (hence the black smoke, which wasn't from over fueling) haha. i put her in the shop this winter and rebuild the engine, trans, torque and its at the local butcher shop getting sand blasted and painted as we speak. It was my first cat, so I didn't have the heart to patch it up and stick it on some auction sale somewhere.

  10. #10Wolf2008-04-28 19:41

    Dirtman is right, you should have set the tree on fire after you knocked it down. that would have really set the tree huggers off. did you knock down any more big trees like that? got any more pictures? you guys should post a bunch of pictures on the tree huggers sites just to **** them off. that is kinda funny.

  11. #11CatSkinner77V2008-04-28 19:45

    well That was an old abandoned farm yard i was knocking down. and this summer we will be burning the big pile, which has everything from trees, to an old house to grain bins in it haha.

  12. #12Wolf2008-04-28 19:46

    so you got to knock down an old house on the farm too? got any pictures of that? must have been awesome too with that machine.

  13. #13CatSkinner77V2008-04-28 19:52

    Heres a few more pictures, notice I put my hat on the fence post in the first picture. The next picture is looking the same direction about 3 hours later... notice the hat again? lol. The 3rd picture was the middle of november last fall, awoke to a nice surpise that day, makes things alittle more interesting trying to make a nice job clearing trees when theres a foot of snow. picture of my cat and lowbed good picture of some serious smokage lol. the hippies love that picture

  14. #14Wolf2008-04-28 19:56

    awesome pictures. wow, you cleared that road fast. don't even see any debris hanging around. love that D8K. what a beauty. looks like total power. what year is that machine? and yes, love the black smoke. tell the hippies to eat ****.

  15. #15CatSkinner77V2008-04-28 19:57

    it was alright, i never did get any pictures of that. the most fun I had with buildings was knocking down what was left of a 5000 sow/farrowing pig barn after half of it burnt. nothing like the smell of bacon in the morning!! lol

  16. #16CatSkinner77V2008-04-28 20:01

    that cat is 77V2945 first year they made them 1973 or 74 whatever u want to call it. When I am working close to town or a busy highway sometimes i turn the fun screw put pretty good in her and change the fuel ratio, make her blow the smoke more than normal haha. put on a show.

  17. #17bobcat ron2008-04-28 20:49

    That's a small Cottonwod in my 'hood,

  18. #18DPete2008-04-28 22:04

    Great pics, Ya the ratio control valve can make em smoke, I turned one until it did'nt smoke on acceleration and it turned the tractor into a slug. Have a little smoke now until it gets boost from the turbo, no smoke under a load.

  19. #19Deere96702008-04-28 22:15

    Hell Yea, ROLLIN COAL......you should post the last pic on a hippie forum!

  20. #20CAT D9H2008-04-29 00:57

    Awesome pics , if the tree huggers call dirtwork worse then prostitution then I guess that makes me worse then a whore gotta love them D8K's , Ive pushed over some trees as big as that on some 8K's and 9H's its amazing how you can hear the tree breaking over the engine noise

  21. #21Deas Plant2008-04-29 06:05

    Great Stuff. Hi, Catskinner77V. Good photos and neat work. And that old K looks pretty neat too. Great stuff. I think you were around when were informed by a 'gentleman' who claimed to extremely knowledgeable in such matters, that you can't push trees with a track loader. I see you 'took notice'. LOL.

  22. #22EZ TRBO2008-04-29 07:13

    Great pics, and a nice looking machine. I honestly have no idea why the enviromential people would be mad, other than that fact they have NO clue. If that tree is that old, it is near the end of its life cycle and by burying it, will decompose faster and thus making the dirt have more nutrients. BUT all the black smoke from the CAT might rile them up, lol. Thanks again. Trbo

  23. #23euclid2008-04-29 07:38

    I have always said gotta love those environmental weenies because they drive cars that smoke as much as the hard working cat dozer, whine bout the environment and then have the ballz to get uptight about development. One has to remember you have to cultivate the land in order to see returns. I say show them the bon fire once you torch it off.

  24. #24CatSkinner77V2008-04-29 09:19

    i suppose you can take them down with your Posi-track as well?!?! :Banghead

  25. #25bobcat ron2008-04-29 09:35

    Never, dynamite and some beer, the cotton wood you took down is a smaller "breed" than what we deal with here, our Cottonwoods are taller and thicker with less branches, only at the very top of the tree. I am looking at one right now in my backyard that is 30 years old (started growing when I was born) and it measures 3 feet at the base and 60 feet in height. They are beautiful trees, but not this time of year, those dang sticky pods stick to everything.

  26. #26Lashlander2008-04-29 10:46

    I've got a bunch of Cottonwood trees in my yard that are getting a little out of hand. I asked the local tree guy what time of the year I should trim them and where was the best place to cut them back to. He told me it didn't matter what time of the year they were trimmed and the best place to cut them was about six inches above the ground. I'm having a hard time to find a good arguement against it.

  27. #27DPete2008-04-29 19:51

    :iagree:falldownlaugh

  28. #28bobcat ron2008-04-29 23:04

    If you want to kill a Cottonwood permanently, and I mean permanently, after the stump has been cut down, take a 1/2" drill bit and start going as deep as you can and make the stump about 50% full of holes from the top, pour undiluted Round Up (weed killer) in to the holes, in a matter of a month, that stump is dead. This method also works when the trees is still standing, but the holes have to be drilled at an angle to allow the Round Up to flow into the trunk.

  29. #29CatSkinner77V2008-04-30 01:10

    haha yea, i saw this "stuff" one time it was called stump removal in a box, you drilled holes in the stump and poured this "stuff" in the holes and taaadaaa!!! 6 months later your stump is punky enough to remove it with a shovel..... sorry boys, i find the best way to remove a stump/tree is plain old horsepower and diesel fuel hahahaha.

  30. #30CAT D9H2008-04-30 01:56

    Couldnt agree more about removing a tree or a stump

  31. #31joispoi2008-05-04 15:12

    About the tree hugger site..... Is it still too late to photoshop a stack of burning tires around the trunk of that tree?

  32. #32D5G2008-05-15 16:25

    good idea!:usa:drinkup

  33. #33bear2008-05-15 19:13

    :lmao :lmao :woohoo :falldownlaugh That'd really make the hippies :crying :spaz I love it :thumbsup

  34. #34Wolf2008-05-16 18:21

    yeah, dude, too funny. make the tree huggers cry. what else can we do to them?

  35. #35jdlogger2008-05-23 19:16

    wish my 450 c had that kind of power