Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

$1500 JCB Backhoe

Ken Dieckmann · 2020-02-11 12:54

I have a chance to get a JCB Backhoe CHEAP! According to the owner, it starts and runs and all hydraulics work. It just doesn't move forward or back. I have read many reasons why this happens, but here is the issue. While I am very good at mechanics, I know nothing about these machines. Should I get this thing and learn on the job? I mean, the price seems right. Ken

Replies14
  1. #1Welder Dave2020-02-11 14:32

    It doesn't want to move because the loader bucket is stuck in the next county. I don't think I'd want it if was given to me. Even as a parts machine I don't think there's too many of them around.

  2. #2Delmer2020-02-11 14:52

    I wouldn't be afraid of it. Do you speak British? you say you're a good mechanic, you'll figure it out. What's the plan? fix it up and sell it? forget it. (on second thought, if it's easy to fix, pressure wash it and sell it, if not, part it out) Spend a huge amount of time with your kid working on the thing, to teach him something and have the satisfaction of seeing it run in nice shape? Looks like a good prospect for that. Want to get it working and make money with it? build a house this summer? over the next ten years?

  3. #3Ken Dieckmann2020-02-11 15:10

    I wanted to get it working properly and use it over the summer for some projects. Then sell it. I'm going to view it on Saturday to see if everything else works like the owner said.

  4. #4LN Pipeline2020-02-11 15:58

    JCB parts are expensive, and resale is poor. I would only take that machine if it was given to me. Then you could take it apart and see what it would cost to fix. You could try to part it out, but as stated above, you probably wouldn’t sell any parts. If you fixed it up and sold it, you would have way more money into it than you could ever sell it for. I’m a JCB owner. If it were given to me, I’d haul it straight to the scrap yard.

  5. #5fpgm042020-02-11 16:36

    Good JCB donor part machines in North America are unicorns. Where is your closet JCB dealer? I would suggest you contact them with that machine’s model/serial number and see if parts are available anymore. As you mention future resale, consider the following. This machine looks like a sideshift backhoe (need a rear picture to confirm) which are very uncommon in North America, but typical for Europe. Keep in mind many people in North America will not want a sideshift backhoe due to the added hoe weight and being less stable due to close distance stabilizers. Additionally this machine appears to have an inner sliding dipper which many people will not like as you are putting the lower greased section in the dirt all of the time. Check scrap metal prices in your area and your cost to move the machine. Assuming there is ~6 or 7 tons of scrap metal there, you can do the math as a backup plan. One other observation, why is the tractor a different shade of yellow than the backhoe?

  6. #6Ken Dieckmann2020-02-12 08:11

    All good questions and concerns. I'm now leaning towards passing on this deal.

  7. #7TVA2020-02-12 08:27

    Personally - I would stay away out of anything JCB!

  8. #8Bls repair2020-02-12 10:07

    Take photos to scrap yard and see what they will give you for it

  9. #9Tinkerer2020-02-12 10:50

    It a JCB C3. Maybe you could buy this one for parts.

  10. #10TVA2020-02-12 11:36

    IDK about these older machines, but the biggest problem with JCB is parts availability and dealer prices! Dealer prices are just NUTS !!! There’s possible to get some parts on eBay, or read the component name tag, find out who manufacturer is and buy it from their distributors.

  11. #11Tinkerer2020-02-12 11:54

    There was a lengthy thread not long ago about JCB and looking up parts online. It is virtually impossible unless you are dealer.

  12. #12Welder Dave2020-02-12 13:12

    Not sure but think it has a Leyland engine. Here's one in the UK that may be newer that runs and is asking less than 3K US for it. If the trans. is shot and it requires some other work I think it would cost more than the machine is worth. If it needs a back tire will cost a few hundred bucks alone. https://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/construction-equipment/for-sale/68526523/1974-jcb-3c-ii

  13. #13Tinkerer2020-02-12 17:04

    Buy a pair of track (running) shoes so you can run faster to get awaaaaay from that wreck !!!!!!!!!

  14. #14Cbait580b2020-02-12 18:46

    With my learning experience with resurrecting a Case 580B..I'd keep looking. I gave $1200 for my tractor and have spent more than that in repairs so far. I figure another $300 to$500 before it pulls itself out of the garage under it own power.