Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

16k steel vs 14k aluminum trailer

wheel10 ยท 2024-03-23 22:33

Trying to decide which route to go. 16k steel trailer vs a 14k aluminum trailer. Both give me the 12k payload I need for my skid loader and attachment. Steel will be cheaper but the Wisconsin winters eat up steel trailers. Even though I probably won't be using it much in the winter. Probably won't get used much in general. Pulling this with a 3/4 or 1 ton truck so the 2k weight savings might be beneficial. Will aluminum stand up to some abuse?

Replies4
  1. #1Shimmy12024-03-24 00:18

    If you think your salt eats up steel, how many aluminum trailers like you're thinking about do you see on the roads?

  2. #2Tyler d4c2024-03-24 00:49

    At my day job we have 3 aluminum trailers all are going on 10 years old. They see alot of winter and alot of coal mine/coal cleaning plant slop. The steel pieces have been repainted and will need it again and probably new axles before they hit 15 years old. I have no doubt the aluminum will still be fine. Only reason I'd tell him to hesitate is if it has steel tracks or he is one who likes to severely over load stuff.

  3. #3wheel102024-03-24 00:50

    I guess every single snowmobile trailer I see is aluminum and every one I've owned has been aluminum. They only get driven in the snow and salt and don't seem any worse off. I've had 29' aluminum trailer for 8 years and it still looks new. I can't say the same for our steel equipment trailers.

  4. #4cfherrman2024-03-25 18:20

    I'd go with the one with better axles. Trailer axles suck