Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

16V92 How Much Oil Will It Take?

Birken Vogt · 2025-07-21 17:02

I have a 16V92 I need to do service on. No other 2 cycles in my fleet any more so I don't keep Delo 100 around, need to order it. For some reason I can't find a picture of the options plate, but the serial number appears to be 16VF014149 Thanks

Replies20
  1. #1Coaldust2025-07-21 17:35

    My cheat sheet says 65 quarts for standard capacity oil pan. 4 pails, and the 4th pail will mostly be left over. That’s fine, I’m sure much of it will leak out, soon enough. .

  2. #2Coaldust2025-07-21 18:21

    Thank you for your service. You are doing the Lords work, keeping a 16v in operation and making money.

  3. #3DDoug2025-07-21 19:27

    I recall a conversation I had many years ago from a long haul trucker. He said during the heyday of Detroits, a trip from Erie Pa to Kalifornia would use a bucket of oil.....

  4. #4Truck Shop2025-07-21 20:38

    "In on highway use a 8V92 in good condition will eat a gallon every 3,000 to 3,500 miles." A quote from a Detroit authorized service rep that worked for Emerson Diesel Seattle.

  5. #5Vetech632025-07-21 20:57

    Average is 1 gallon per cylinder

  6. #6Truck Shop2025-07-21 21:01

    Per what usage? lol

  7. #7Tyler d4c2025-07-21 22:22

    At that rate just spin a new filter on now and again

  8. #8Coaldust2025-07-21 22:59

    We haven’t had a good two-stoke thread in a long time. Maybe a week?

  9. #9MarshallPowerGen2025-07-22 00:45

    That's how I run my 6.9L, top off the oil and new filter every 5 years.

  10. #10cfherrman2025-07-22 00:58

    After my 671 ran away it was 1 gallon per 8 hours, I no longer changed the oil in it after that.

  11. #11stinky642025-07-22 08:55

    Old CF cabovers with 6V92's had 2 gallon oil reservoirs for auto fill systems mounted behind cab that got filled every time fueled. When company switched to Cat 3406's in the 80"s they probably saved millions on oil consumption.

  12. #12Birken Vogt2025-07-25 10:33

    We did the load bank test the other day, have not gotten to the oil and coolant service yet. 2 hours at full load burned something like 120 gallons out of the 500 gallon tank it sits on.

  13. #13Coaldust2025-07-25 10:57

    Fun fact. I just got SP001 approval from the Steel Tank Institute to inspect sub-base generator tanks for facilities with EPA SPCC plans. I need to get busy marketing that. Though, I’ve been slammed with cargo tanks this summer, picking up new clients and old clients purchasing more tanks.

  14. #14chidog2025-07-25 11:45

    And what HP is it? I'm guessing if 700hp it should be about 40 gal an hour.

  15. #15Birken Vogt2025-07-25 22:48

    It is 800 kw electric output, the sticker on the valve cover says 1250 HP if I remember correctly.

  16. #16terex herder2025-07-25 23:20

    20 hp*hr/gallon would be 1200 hp. Without a bsfc chart, a wag says a big Deetroit can't do that good. On edit: found old literature that said .35#/hp*hr with 9A98 injectors, good for 960 hp at 2100 rpm. So depending on fuel density, could do better than 20. Also said 65 qt oil capacity.

  17. #17Truck Shop2025-07-25 23:30

    George Rominger trucking--ran nothing but V8 Detroit's, wouldn't own anything but. And another thing he wouldn't do--remove the drain plug. Only added and changed filters. Had some run 800,000 miles before losing the cams. Filth, the insides were a black slimy mess. Oh how I hated working on his stuff.

  18. #18Coaldust2025-07-26 00:15

    I worked for a Detroit Dealer as a young Coaldust. The only 16v92’s I ever worked on were installed in the N/V Spear Sea II. She was built in Tacoma in 1992 & the largest yacht built by Jones-Goodell Corporation. Robert Spears of Spears Manufacturing had her built. You know, the pvc valve guy. He kept her moored in Ketchikan. A group of us. The entire shop, performed a factory campaign of some sort that involved all new head bolts. The engine room was pristine. Later, Mr. Spears complained about the chipped paint on all the fastener heads. I had to go back with custom paint and touch everything up on all three engines. Spears passed away in 23.

  19. #19Birken Vogt2025-07-26 00:16

    All right, made me go look up the spec sheet. The one for this one the 800 kw is not available, going off the 750 spec. Engine: 16V-92TA, (8163-7406) 2-Cycle, Twin-Turbo Aftercooled 17:1 compression (1252 hp on the actual sticker) Fuel consumption 56.5 GPH at full load (750 not 800), calculating backwards that puts us at 60.3 GPH One other colleague I just talked to said kw/800 = fuel consumption generally but I suppose Detroits are a little thirstier.

  20. #20Truck Shop2025-07-26 06:49

    Just a tad self important, doesn't rate a mister. * Why is everyone concerned about hourly rate of oil usage?