How do you guys who are not Cummins dealers but do repairs on Cummins engines get your parts? They have several options none of which make sense to me Compass which seems to be for dealers only Parts.cummins.com but IDK how you get access Smartequip is a site I use for another brand unrelated to Cummins but I'm not sure that is the right thing either Their phone support is really bad so that is why I am posting here to see what independent repair guys can use Thanks
“Parts.cummins.com but IDK how you get access”. Just ask the parts manager at your local branch. They will help you out. The marine side is different. I don’t know how that works.
I know my work has an account at parts.cummins that we all use, and we're not a dealer. Not sure what it takes to sign up and get access.
Maybe I will send my employee to the parts counter when he goes to Sacramento because it does not seem possible to reach someone at the branch by phone or email. They are an hour and a quarter of heavy traffic from my shop
If it’s Cummins truck engine parts, I often have better luck and better pricing going through the truck dealerships. Sometimes, if the local Cummins branch is struggling, I’ll go through Everett or Portlandia.
I haven't bought anything yet but worldwide diesel has a ton of used parts, I think they are in Michigan
As Coaldust said--through a truck dealer, trouble Cummins is if a item of short supply it will only show Cummins inventory and may only show one in UK. Where as a dealer it will do a nation wide search. I needed a turbo oil feed hose {special} item for a 855, Cummins showed one in Ireland, Freightliner dealer showed three that came up in a 250 mile radius, no shipping and $15 bucks less.
So are the Cummins dealers more expensive? Over 30 years ago that is where I bought parts.
parts.cummins.com is what I use. I gave them an engine serial number and got an account started. I sign in and I have full access to parts, build options and lots more resources through this site. I think it used to be Cummins Inline or some other name. I had to reset my account earlier this year after the name change to be able to login to the newer site. Once that mess was straightened out, it is working well again.
Cummins is typically 10% more than Peterbilt or Kenworth, for the same parts. Not, all the time. In the PNW.
Cummins and KW are about a 1/4 mile apart by me. I can buy the part through the KW dealer, and drive over to the cummins shop and pick up the part, for something KW doesn't stock. Still cheaper than direct from the cummins shop.
Same with my situation. Or, I have it delivered. KW is great about that.
Cat or Cummins complete engine kits or Eaton transmission parts, at least where I'm at none of the other dealers could compete with Freightliner. And 99% of the time Freightliner had it close by in the dealer network.
All nice to know. Hmm can you get the Cat tools cheaper at Freightliner?
Don't know, bought all mine years ago, but yeah it's all nice to know, if your buying at PacCar dealers, your getting screwed.