Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

17.5″ tires for off road/poor road conditions

materthegreater · 2026-02-25 07:07

My trailer is a 10 ton dually tandem axle flatbed tag trailer. I'm looking for 17.5" trailer tires and most seem to have long haul/OTR smooth tread patterns. My trailer gets low road use, but a fair amount of off road or wet, muddy, sometimes snowy roads so I want tires that will give decent traction in these conditions. It's not hard to find 16" trailer tires with block pattern tread, but that seems like a very rare option in 17.5" size. Anyone else in this situation where you need a bit better tread for stopping capability?

Replies24
  1. #1materthegreater2026-02-25 08:00

    I did find this option:

  2. #2Truck Shop2026-02-25 13:55

    https://www.tires-easy.com/235-75-17.5/arisun-tires/ad778/tirecode/TH18718?msclkid=368f9e2fb352127a9866f7b0f7850f80&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=USA_CatchAll&utm_term=4583726564859597&utm_content=CatchAll

  3. #3materthegreater2026-02-25 14:46

    I've heard some say not to put a drive tire on a trailer. What's your thought on that?

  4. #4Truck Shop2026-02-25 16:46

    Depends on how many axles and open or closed shoulder tread design. Open means tread lugs have open notch to edge of tread. Normally there isn't much issue with two axle trailers because those tend to pivot in tight turns unlike a three axle which 1st & 3rd axle sweep/drag tires in tight turns. For years I put used drive tires 22.5's in center position on three axle trailers because the center pivots. Used drive runouts lasted well in that position--but because of tread pattern not so good on F & R axles. A two axle won't be that much of a issue especially in dirt because the ground gives, unlike asphalt. Closed shoulder tires should be used for front/rear axles on 3 axle trailers.

  5. #5materthegreater2026-02-25 19:45

    That makes sense. Are the casings constructed differently for specific trailer tires versus all position?

  6. #6Truck Shop2026-02-25 19:53

    If anything it would be sidewall, it all depends on casing specifications, normally with 16 ply casing it won't be a issue.

  7. #7materthegreater2026-02-25 21:54

    Ok thanks. Even 14 ply would be more than enough weight capacity.

  8. #8materthegreater2026-03-19 22:33

    The tire dealer really didn't want to put anything other than a trailer tire on it. So I went with what he recommended. It'll be interesting to see how they do on a slick muddy dirt road, or a hard frozen snow packed road...

  9. #9HarleyHappy2026-03-20 10:57

    Had the same type of tire, made by Armstrong, actually drove or pulled nice and had decent if not great traction.

  10. #10materthegreater2026-03-20 22:36

    They came in just in time...

  11. #11cfherrman2026-03-23 15:42

    I've had a variety of tires on trailers and in muddy conditions I tend to pay attention to the truck really lol

  12. #12BC Placer gold2026-03-23 21:39

    Same, had some extremely greasy steep roads to deal with. It always surprises me the trailer just seems to track along….

  13. #13materthegreater2026-03-23 21:59

    Tracking is probably less of an issue than braking.

  14. #14BC Placer gold2026-03-23 22:07

    Yes I understand; especially on snow. On mud I find tires can lock and build trench/‘barrier’ chock of mud in front of tires.

  15. #15cfherrman2026-03-24 00:02

    Electric trailer brakes are always broken for me

  16. #16Deere500a2026-03-27 18:47

    Amazon quick look typed in 17.5 ply16 drive tire.

  17. #17Truck Shop2026-03-27 19:00

    Shandong Linglong and Chaoyang.

  18. #18materthegreater2026-03-27 20:00

    The tire shop won't sell those cheap tires.

  19. #19cfherrman2026-03-27 21:25

    Ironheads are excellent cheap tires

  20. #20Truck Shop2026-03-27 21:30

    Sailun Tire--Canadian based.

  21. #21materthegreater2026-03-27 21:40

    He didn't want to install drive tires on a trailer either. He assured me I'll be just fine with these steer tires...

  22. #22BC Placer gold2026-03-27 22:13

    A good percentage of the logging trucks here are running Sailun (drives). We have them on our single axle and also an aggressive off-road set on the tandem dump truck. Kal tire sells a lot of these for vocational use. Seem pretty good...

  23. #23HarleyHappy2026-03-28 09:57

    I have Ironheads on my truck and have rotated them once, so far and they seem pretty good.

  24. #24cfherrman2026-03-28 16:57

    I put 285/75/16 at's on my crew truck and probably going to last 40k, for $800 of tires. My trucks has ko2's for 300-400 a tire lol. I put two 235/85/16 on my dually, $150 a tire. They did rather well in the snow too. I put a 425/65/22.5 on the front of a water truck, its an awesome tire for off roading and only was $670. My friend that recommended it is also selling the drive tires for trucks