:beatsme So this truck was losing alot of trans oil out of the bell housing. I figured it had the metal paste building up inside and filling the grooves on the input shaft slinger. Got it apart and the grooves were full, but with a brown, non-metalic paste. I looked over all the gears and shift collars no-wear, dragged a magnet along the bottom, no metal. The friction off the clutch brake is totally gone, So the best guess I can come up with is that as the brake turned to dust it got pulled into the input shaft and plugged up the slinger. Am I totally reaching, or does that sound plausible? I plan to r+r the input shaft , cover and bearing and just put it back together. Oh yeah and a new clutch. Tim
trans and clutch here's pics
Not only are the friction linings shot, those springs have been gettin' hammered!
If the oil is leaking from the imput shaft,I would say the imput shaft bearing is the culprit.The 13,10,and 9 speeds that I have rebuilt dont use a shaft seal on the imput shaft cover,just the bearing.Checking the imput shaft is a good idea.
I think you are correct on the parts to replace, however I don't know about your reasoning behind the problem, can you post pics of the input shaft? Granted, my experience has been with 9 and 10 speed transmissions, but some pictures of the shaft would help. And if I remember correctly when put back together the input shaft will have a little play in it? Atco or 25c help me out here?
I'm still scratchin' my head Red Bank. I suppose it's possible that friction material has got in there, I've never seen that before. :beatsme And yes, every tranny I've worked on has a little "wobble" on the input shaft nose, the flywheel pilot bearing takes care of that. The thing that kills me is those springs and the retaining of the springs in the clutch disks, those things are trashed! And the clutch brake completely missing friction material! The one detail Muffler Bearing didn't tell us is; is this a half million mile clutch, or a year old clutch? I'm beginning to think the driver needs to view the "clutch or no clutch" thread that's been on the forum lately.
The new bearing & imput shaft will have some play in it Red Bank.Muffler Bearing is is describing a build up on the helical grooved imput shaft that keeps the oil from flowing in to the bell housing.I have never ran in to this problem.I would clean the shaft up,Install a new bearing,And see what happens.
shaft Thanks for all your input guys. I really appreciate the good attitude on this forum. The input has a few grooves right where the brake would ride, and it's hard to see but the friction remaining on that brake is paper thin. The bearing had no serious wear. I know, this is a weird problem, it's so much easier when the problem jumps out at you. I'll probably put it back in on Monday so I'll let you know. Oh and he got 470,000 miles out of that clutch. That seems like alot but this tranny had definately never been out before. thanks again, Tim
I'm leaning towards your hypothesis of friction material buildup, Muffler Bearing. It may be a mixture of clutch brake friction material, and other substances that created a pasty formula. Seems like a decent amount of mileage out of that clutch, assuming it's a company truck, multiple-driver operation?:beatsme
When I worked at a trucking company I can't recall ever having a transmission leak at the bellhousing, but I have pulled a lot of clutches out that looked like that, mainly in "city" trucks, where the least experienced drivers usually start out at before "hitting the road". I have seen them with the springs broke, the dogs in the flywheel gone, and usually we would have already replaced the clutch brake with one of the two piece units. I have had to chisel a one piece clutch brake out because it would be worn down like that, but the clutch would be ok, always hated doing that because that is a nasty job! Mufflerbearing what kind of mileage do you get on clutches in general?
In our fleet this clutch might have set a new record. It's an 04' and it has had the same driver since day one. He hauls a bulk pneumatic full of ash to our batch plants and spends most of the time on the highway or blowing out the trailer. The majority of my trans and clutch jobs are on the mixers, I'll have to check records to see how long they are lasting but, let's just say I stay busy. Based on experience, I've started to link an input shaft leak to a complete overhaul, because I usually find metal filling the helical grooves on the input. So this is a first and I'll have to just see if I guess right. Red Bank, I'd have to put removing a one piece clutch brake as my least favorite job on the whole truck, I use a torch, It goes pretty quick and you get the added bonus of dropping burning grease onto yourself RANT ALERT! What's truly disappointing is clutch brakes that get killed by my fellow mechanics in the next bay. I had one guy who felt he should grease throw out bearings until the bell housing was full and now I have a guy who can't figure out the 2 pieced "hinge and pin" style brakes! He's had 2 Fall Out! Again, Thanks for your input guys. My wife thinks it's odd that I talk work on a forum, and I say " Imagine next door is an excavator or trucking Co. And each night a bunch of owners, drivers and mechanics hang out in the shop and drink beers and BS. That's what this forum is like":drinkup