Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

For those of you who haul municipal waste..

Stripmine ยท 2009-05-09 18:43

I was wondering how you got started? I see all these tipper trailers and walking floors around my area and I would like to get a job with one of the company's I just don't really know how to go about it. I know the city of Fairfax has a large transfer station and they have a fleet of around 50 walking floors but don't know if I go directly through to the station or is it through the county? Also the city of Manassas has a smaller transfer station where I have seen some MBI's tippers go and get loaded as well as some DREW Transport tippers running up and down the road. How do I get a job at the transfer station? I figure I could start there and maybe talk to some of the drivers about driving jobs. So I guess my question is how did you get started and do you have any advice for me? Thanks. -Josh

Replies10
  1. #1CM19952009-05-09 20:26

    I am not in the transfers business but we do run a front loader. You referenced MBI and if they are the same company, I see them daily. http://www.mrbults.com/services.html There is an employment section on their website, you may want to start there.

  2. #2tonka2009-05-09 20:45

    Hey Josh here is our website www.esiwaste.com . I work at the SWTR, DART, and ESIX locations here in NJ. I don't know is we are hiring in the VA area but its worth a shot.

  3. #3Stripmine2009-05-10 02:02

    Thanks guys I really appreciate the responses. I sent my resume into MBI the other day but haven't heard back yet. I know I have seen their trucks around there but they are mainly based out of IL or so I thought. I actually saw a number on the back of one of their trailers the other day that said "drivers needed" so I called the number only to find out that it was to the local STD clinic. As funny as that is I was kinda upset because I really thought they needed drivers. ESI has a branch out here that is PDS (Potomac Disposal Services) and I have called many times but they need at least 5 years experience but they also own the Lorton landfill I believe so maybe I can see if they are hiring out there. Thanks again guys I really appreciate the responses.

  4. #4tonka2009-05-10 22:39

    yup we own Lorton, Colton, and Bigrun landfills....

  5. #5Stripmine2009-05-11 01:19

    Just curious though Tonka would I call the number for the Lorton landfill on the ESI website directly to inquire about employment? Thanks. -Josh

  6. #6tonka2009-05-11 07:37

    pm sent

  7. #7kubota1232009-05-12 00:12

    What are the tipping fees per ton for the general public where you are at???? I've always heard the east coast has insanely low rates compared to the west coast. We pay about $105.00 to dump loads at the landfill/transfer station.

  8. #8Steve Frazier2009-05-12 00:16

    The rate at my local transfer station is $120.00

  9. #9CM19952009-05-12 06:54

    $19-25 per ton at the landfills, it's the same price for MSW and C&D, and $38 per ton at WM's 24hr transfer station. Inert $30 - $50 per tri-axle at most places and brush/stumps $50 - $75 per tri-axle at the recycler or brush dump.

  10. #10kubota1232009-05-12 19:33

    Wow I guess its the south that has insanely low tipping rates!!!