I took out my distributor to replace some parts. It has two slots in the engine it sits into, and two prongs on end of distributor shaft. If I get it in backwards, will it fire at the wrong time and break something, or just not start?
It just won't start is my guess. But it's not hard to figure out which way to put it in, if you have the firing order and can determine top dead center, either from a spark plug hole or timing marks.
I got it all back together and running. The first time I tried to start it it backfired, so I lifted it out enough to turn the rotor 180 degrees and it started and ran great. I did figure out the rotor has a crack in it and it was grounding out on the distributor shaft. That is why it wasn't firing the spark plug. I figured it out after business hours on Friday evening, and the case dealer is closed till Monday, so I took an old inner tube and cut a piece and put under the metal in the center of the rotor, and it started and ran for about 5 minutes. Shorted out again, so Saturday I put a piece of rubber inside the rotor and under the metal piece on the top, and it ran about all day Saturday. Will get a new rotor hopefully Monday morning at the case dealer. Thanks a lot to everyone that offered suggestions and information. It was very helpful.