Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Busted a chain on my L190

tmc_31 ยท 2013-06-26 22:46

I just removed the final drive chain on my L190 that I busted yesterday. It looks like the side plates on one link busted. The machine has 1380 hours on it. Can I add a master link and put it back together or should I just replace the chain? The sprockets look okay as far as I can tell without pulling them out. The chain oil seems to have quite a bit of metal in it but I can't see where it is coming from. I think regardless of weather I repair the chain or replace it, I will drain the chain case, clean/flush it and replace the oil. Does this model have a chain case drain? or will I need to siphon it out? Tim

Replies4
  1. #1durallymax2013-06-27 13:40

    IIRC they did have drains. A replacement link shouldn't be an issue if the rest of the chain is still in good shape.

  2. #2Barky2013-06-28 00:25

    Interesting. I have a 2007 L 190 also. In one direction you can hear a little chain rub, only 400 hrs on machine. I did the wheel slop test and it was in spec for chain wear. Did you ever check slop side to side to see where it was at? Wonder if it jumped a tooth or something? Causing the break. Yes they do have a drain.

  3. #3Construct'O2013-06-28 08:11

    What about wheel bearing.That might be where your metal is coming from plus letting things get out of aligment and riding up on your sprocket enough to break the chain?

  4. #4tmc_312013-06-28 10:36

    Hey guys, I got the skid home yesterday. I am going to drain out all of the oil and clean the chain case. I bought a foot of RC100 heavy duty chain and 2 con links and will fix the existing chain. Barky, I have not checked the wheel slop but I will while I have the skid up on blocks. It should be easy enough to adjust at that time. Construct'O, good thought, I will check for roughness or slop in the axle while I have it open. Tim