Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1835c chain sprocket alignment

Joe Mahlik ยท 2021-10-10 17:19

I recently purchase a Case 1835c. Machine has around 3000 hours(hour meter broken). I've been making repairs and bringing it up to snuff on its routine maintenance over the past few months. I'm currently reinstalling the wheel hubs after tearing them down and rebuilding all four, and cleaning out chain cases. Im running into an issue with the chain between the motor sprocket and the rear wheel sprocket. The allignment between the two sprockets is off by a mile while the front wheel sprocket is aligned with motor sprocket perfectly. I can see the rear chain coming off the wheel sprocket at a mean angle. As far as I can tell this is by design. The front and rear hub assemblies are virtually identical except for the wheel sprocket itself, so they are in line with one another in the chain case, while the motor sprockets are stacked. Watching the chain go around as I actuate the drive motor, I can see the chain hoping and hear it banging as the side plate of each link snags the wheel sprocket teeth. This was not occurring before I removed the hub assemblies. I tried resetting the chain tension multiple times, and also tried the chain from the other side and am still having the issue. I have not reassembled the other side so I don't know if I'll run into the same issue there. I did put master links on both front and rear chains but I don't believe that would cause an issue. I have even taken the front chain off and slide the drive sprocket on the motor shift a bit to bring it into (better) alignment with the rear wheel sprocket and the issue still existed. If anybody has ever ran into this issue a little guidance would be greatly appreciated. I'm at a total loss here. I have the parts catalog and have verified everything has been installed in the correct orientation. I also confirmed prior to reinstallation that the distance between the sprocket and the mounting face of the hub was the same between all for hubs, telling me all bearings are fully seated on the axel. I'm I missing something obvious here, or do I have a larger issue at hand?

Replies3
  1. #1alrman2021-10-10 20:16

    The sprockets are usually made with an offset. I would think you would need to remove the hub & put the sprocket on the other way. I'm just guessing, but it's an educated guess.....

  2. #2Joe Mahlik2021-10-10 21:02

    My god man I think you're right. I will flip it around tomorrow and see if that does the trick. Much appreciated!!

  3. #3Joe Mahlik2021-10-11 19:08

    You were correct sir!!! I did have the rear sprocket on backwards. I suppose one must always be willing to let a simple old machine humble him. I have one side completely buttoned back up and everything works. Thank you for your "educated guess", it is much appreciated.