Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

333D Skid Steer blowing black smoke

duramax2004 · 2021-10-10 17:58

I have a 2011 JD 333D. I bought it new and so far it’s been a decent machine, with just a few issues through the years. It had about 1700 hours. I mostly clear land with a grapple. Yesterday, under a load it starting chugging black smoke. It doesn’t have the power it should have either. I have no codes, air filter is clean…thinking it’s an injector problem? I don’t see any visible injectors? Are the injectors under the top engine cover? Anyone had this issue? Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you.

Replies6
  1. #1Techman712021-10-10 20:13

    Try a new air filter. They can appear to be clean and still be plugged.

  2. #2mg23612021-10-11 05:50

    Serial number? Check the turbo also.

  3. #3thepumpguysc2021-10-11 07:17

    Yes, the pumps and injectors are under the valve cover.. If so equipped.. definitely pull the pipes off the turbo., if u have a good amount of oil in the turbo housings, u need to grab the wheels and try to wiggle them back and forth.. if u get a good amount of play, say 6+ thousand.. THAT could b the black smoke problem. If it had a blown tip on an injector, it would black smoke all the time..??

  4. #4duramax20042021-10-14 15:49

    I'm trying to wrap my head around this.....do the injectors each have their own pump? Can a bad pump create a problem with the injector? Injectors are out and the dealer sent them out to be checked. If an injector is found bad is it common to replace the pumps too? If it's just idling you don't notice any black smoke, but the least amount of throttle you see it. I had just changed the oil a few hours before this started and now it looks like fuel may have got in the oil........thin and very dark. The dealer is telling me the pumps should be replaced too. I understand it's probably wiser to replace all the injectors while it's torn down, but the pumps I know nothing about. I just find it odd with an electronic machine that I did't get any computer faults? The compression on the engine is good and turbo seems fine. Appreciate your input.

  5. #5thepumpguysc2021-10-14 17:01

    Yes, each injector has its own pump..

  6. #6mg23612021-10-15 05:19

    And if the pumps are replaced they need to be calibrated. Wait to see the results of the injector testing. There have been a lot on injector issues with those engines. Mechanical faults with that injection system does not create a code, only electrical issues do.