I have a older 1840 case. I added a led light bar on the front only to have problems. It will not start unless I give it a shot of starting fluid. I can not find the fuel solenoid or what wire color goes to it. I have a schematic for a 1845 but it's not very informative. Can someone please tell me where the shut of is located please...thanks
When I was looking how to check the drive chain tension, it shows the wire to remove on the front of the injection pump side closest to the driver seat. So you can crank without starting to set the tension the chain. For my 1830
I have a sending looking unit with 2 bleck wires going to it. Would that sound like the solenoid? thanks
It says to disconnect the injection pump WIRE on the injection pump solenoid.
Welcome to HEF @jsmith6752james4now The headlight electrical circuit - should not be associated with the engine fuel shut off circuit. Your saying that - this machine had NO trouble starting before you fitted the LED light bar - and now it wont start? Was the wiring for light bar run from the existing headlamps? No other wiring tampered with? If the engine starts with ether & continues to run - the fuel solenoid is getting 12V - so that should not be the problem. Can you confirm the machine serial number OR the type of injector pump you have? - as there are 3 different types in the 1840 series. Early model should be a CAV pump, but it will be nice to know for sure.
I will get the serial number later tonight. It will only run a few seconds on either. My electric LED was wired from the existing wire but it pulls so many amps the headlight in the back is very dim. I unplugged all the lights but no luck. I now it has a cummins engine. I will get a picture of the pump after dinner. thanks
I can only find 3 fuses on the whole machine. Am I missing one somewhere?
my serial number is JAF0154782 I did have to remove the instrument cluster to work on the wires. What is the relay behind it for?
That relay is used for the charging circuit for the alternator. You do have the CAV injector pump. The fuel shut off solenoid #12 is located under the injector pump should have an orange wire connected to it. There is no fuse between the ignition switch & the shut off solenoid. It is connected via a plug found under the operator's seat - you will see 3 plugs 2 x 4pin & 1 x 8pin (if I recall) The larger plug has all the engine control/sensors + the main feed to the dash & is very likely to be corroded so check that & use some contact cleaner.
thanks I will try to get some voltage readings tomorrow Can I check the voltage under the seat or apply 12 volts to the wire there? will it leak fuel if I remove it?
Ideally you need to check voltage at the pump. Maybe the wire has come off Maybe the solenoid has died Yes it will leak some fuel if you remove it
The older solenoids have a center plunger that is removable.. unscrew the sol. {15/16} & see if u have that type,, & take the plunger & spring out & screw the body back in.. see if it starts. The newer style has a NON-removable plunger & spring.
thanks, I will give it a shot
I have a bore scope with a light. How is it possible to even get to the solenoid? I was going to try and remove the fender but it is welded to the panel behind the seat. Any suggestions would be appreciated....thanks
If you raise the loader frame, it will open up the work area from the side of the machine. Once you have done that, & are still having problems, you're able to slide the cabin forward I have actually replaced one on a machine that wouldn't start, on the back of a truck - loader frame down - working from side & rear of machine - when I was alot younger If you have an assistant to turn the key & you put your head as close as possible to the pump - you should hear an audible 'click' when you turn on the ignition. If it's clicking - the solenoid is working. Are you sure you have plenty of fuel in this machine? - The question has to be asked......
The fuel tank is full. I will use some starting fluid to raise the boom and go from there.....thanks
Down below the pump there is a sending unit looking coming out of the block. This photo shows a yellow wire coming off of it. Could that be the solenoid?
The sender unit out of the engine block with a yellow wire would be the engine oil pressure switch. You need to look for a solenoid located under & attached to the injector pump with an orange wire connected to it - as per the picture in post #9 ...... ( @Vetech63 this is shaping up......)
ok...thanks again
I would greatly recommend you not to run that engine on starting fluid long enough to raise the loader, you are begging the engine to break its compression rings, starting fluid is very dangerous if there is no fuel delivery, I just completely did a 188 over that was destroyed by starting fluid, it wasn't pretty. I have found over the years that engines get starting fluid dependent and I do not think you want that, I would very much recommend that you use another machine to lift the loader to get the safety prop in place, If you lift it with another machine you will have to block it under the rear or it will just pick the whole machine up on the rear wheels, If it ran before i suspect you will find the problem near where you wired those lights in, all this happening at once seems more than a coincidence.
good info thanks
Looked at a schematic last nite , it was not real clear but it looks like the orange wire off the ignition switch is the fuel solenoid feed, a test light wil be your friend, it goes through a multiple plug so you may want to pull them apart and clean them with electrical spray cleaner and blow them dry, Personally, i would do that and treat the plugs with dilelectric grease.
You are exactly correct. I found an orange wire had come loose on the ignition switch. It fires right up now. All I need to do is finish the last of my light wires and straighten out the harness wires under the seat. Thank you all so much for your help I really appreciate it....
Love it when a plan comes together!
I think I will sleep better tonight.....lol