Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1840 drive motor

Joel59 ยท 2013-03-12 18:35

How huge of a job is it change out a drive motor on a Case 1840? Apparently the spline is stripped? Any info? Thanks.

Replies4
  1. #1mikebramel2013-03-13 01:00

    Not bad but if the splines on the hydraulic motor are stripped there is probably damage going the female end

  2. #2alrman2013-03-13 23:12

    Hi Joel59, Have you lost drive on one side of the machine or has the machine lost drive completely? What makes you say 'apparently' ?

  3. #3Joel592013-03-14 08:22

    I say apparently because this is a machine advertised to sell. I don't have a bunch of money to spend up front (isn't that always the story ) and was wondering if it is worth making an offer on. Asking price is around $4000. It is a 1991. Dealer says "drive motor splines are stripped". Thanks again.

  4. #4alrman2013-03-14 16:51

    The reason why I asked the questions is that the 1840 has a pretty solid drive chain set up, including the motors. A 'stripped' spline on the motor, sounds very unusual. Have you actually spoken to the dealer about this? There are questions to be answered before you could really commit to buying. A motor for one of these is around $1800 - $2200 US & there are a few different options re type. Depending on serial number, the drive motor may be obsolete & TWO new ones will be required to make it drive properly.......... Like I say alot more information is required :drinkup