Holding my cell phone under the pump and taking terrible pictures, it appears that my leak is between the tandem pumps. It is also possible that it is a fitting right there close but its really hard to get a look at. It appears to be a low pressure leak that just leaves a drip trail. Will leave a puddle after idling for a few minutes but continues to leak after it is shut off till it drips possibly 8 oz out then stops. Does this sound like a common issue? Any Ideas?
You should have no leaks. Your going to need to find where it's coming from and repair as needed.
I had the same leak issue on my 1845C. It was the fitting. I dropped the belly pan, pressure washed and "brake kleened" everything and found one of the motor hose fittings had a loose jam nut. I guess the vibration and/or the hose flexing under pressure loosen the fitting on the pump. I hope it's not the pump leaking in your case. Good luck. SimS
I guess I am looking for insight. If it is coming from between the pumps as I suspect; is it time to tear down the pumps and rebuild or is it a split the two, replace an o-ring, good to go thing? The pumps are noisey but no more than they have been for years. I am told the noise was always there. They function evenly from side to side and have plenty of torque but in this late 70's machine it is not likely that I will spend the money on rebuilt pumps anyway. Case says no longer avaiable and the last price was in the 3000+ area for the pair. If I replace an o-ring is it going to go out in a month because the pump is leaking too much internally? Can I rebuild the pumps myself without having more than the machine is worth in it? Are the parts even available? I have a friend with a bore cam we can hopefully use to determine that it is a cracked fitting spraying on the seam between the pumps but I doubt that is the case given there is no connection between the amount of oil it leaks and movement or how hard I work it. Only in how warm the oil is, the warmer it gets the more it leaks. It does not leak more when I push a large load or leak only when I load one side, seems fairly consistent. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks
Guess I didnt know the belly pan dropped off. Is that a big job? Hope it is that simple. Thanks
Here is a drawing that shows the belly pans for an 1845. Note that the front one #21 in drawing has two brackets. I believe from memory they are hold-downs for hoses which need to be removed before pan drops. See arrow pointing to the one on the right side. I would remove all belly pans and wash the machine very good before worrying about what needs to be replaced. Could be a loose fitting or a bad hose.
I only have my 1845C experience as far as dropping the belly pan. I jacked the machine up high and placed large blocks under each wheel. That gave me enough room underneath to move around and to loosen the bolts. I used a floor jack to raise and lower the belly pan. It's half inch plate and fairly heavy. After dropping the pan it was easy to clean and tighten all the motor fittings. SimS
I believe the belly pans are a bit different between the 1845 and 1845C but it does make things a lot easier. The nice thing about the 1845C is the upper cab assembly can slide forward to make access much nicer. And besides the weight of the belly pans one has to add in the weight of dirt on top of them, this sometimes can be much more than the plates themselves!!!! It would be a good maintenance practice to drop the pans at least once a year or more often depending on the conditions one is working in.
kshansen; 10-4 on the dirt above the pan!! I try and pressure wash the bowels of the machine every few months. There is always a bunch of dirt, leaves and sticks to deal with. It's not like I'm dropping buckets of stuff into the cab; it just amazing how much crap there is to clean out. SimS