I was operating my 1845 skid loader yesterday when it started stalling out and quit. Let it sit and it would start but then stall back out. 188 diesel motor. I took the fuel line loose and blew back through it, Little hard at first then I heard it blowing back in the fuel tank. put it back together and it ran fine but I noticed after a bit it started sounding like it was getting plugged again so I suspect ive got some objects in my fuel tank. I can see where the fitting apparently screws into the lower part of the tank. not a big fitting. So my questions is it hard to get that fitting out and is there a screen of some sort in there or will I have to just flush it out the best I can. thanks norm
I have an 1845C and can't really remember if there was a screen on it or not... but if your fuel line run into a larger hex fitting 1-1/8 - 1'1/4 then it might have a screen down there. 1845's were notorious for getting cracks up near the loader arms on the tanks both hydraulic and fuel so water is usually getting in them and causing problems... i've had machines get flakes of rust sloshing around and blocking the fuel pipes without screens on them before causing fuel starvation issues. Another thing to check is the fuel return check ball fitting on top of the injector pump... if this gets plugged it will shut the motor down and it will usually restart easily but will usually will keep happening because parts of the pump are deteriorating and plugging the check ball up. Edit: a lot of time when I need to clean out a tank without good access I'll rig up a long snout extension to a shop vac and just start sucking around in there.