Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1845C broken Hydraulic Hose

Scavenger ยท 2011-07-02 02:08

I am in kind of a bind here, and would greatly appreciate some quick responses. Earlier today I was using the 1992 Case 1845C with the fork attachment to move around some heavy items...........homemade engine crane, weighs about 800 pounds. Also some old dock plates (levelers) that eventually will be made into heavy duty trailers, and lots of other heavy things. While pulling my disabled mini bus (GMC 3500 series)I heard a loud pop, then saw hydraulic fluid leaking real bad from the bottom of the loader. Upon pulling the seat and floor plate out, I found the culprit. It is one of the hydraulic hoses from the hydraulic drive motor under the operators left foot if they were sitting in the seat. The hose is approx 1.25" diameter. It connects on the right side of the hydrostatic (I think that is what it is called) tranny block. There are 2 hydraulic hoses the same size connected right above the broken one. They are so close together that I had to remove the 2 upper hoses to get at the lower broken one. These 3 hoses form an upside down triangle. It was easy to find because it was the only one with what appears to be fine steel wires sticking out the side of it. Seeing that this is the 4th of July weekend, I don't know what my chances are of being able to get a new hose will be. I figure it will be much quicker to call around in the morning if any places are open, but I would like to have a part number if possible so they know what hose I am mumbling about. I am unsure if Farm & Fleet or other stores like that would have a hose already made up, because it has different size ends on it. I did not have a wrench large enough for the fitting connected to the transmission, so I am unsure what size that fitting will be. The end fastened to the drive motor required a 1-1/4" wrench to remove it. If no one has a new hose, maybe someplace will be able to make one up. Sorry about the length of this post, but I have more questions................please bear with me. I need to get a new hose because the loader must be moved so we can get our vehicles out..............it's blocking them. Also, if I can get a new hose, I will need to refill the hydraulic fluid, so I may as well just remove what little is left and do a complete fluid change. I am pretty sure I need to refill it with 10-W-30 (about 6 gallons). If I am unable to get any of the additive (HTO) that Case states needs to be in the oil, would it hurt it to operate the loader for about 30 minutes without it, and then add the HTO later when I get some? I know I am asking too many questions, but need to get this thing running................thanks.

Replies2
  1. #1alrman2011-07-02 03:11

    Scavenger, that hose will only be able to be purchased over the counter at a Case dealer - it is purpose made for an 1845C. (Chances of them having one wil be next to none) If you remove it & take it to a hydraulic hose repair shop, they can make you a new one. 1 1/2" & 1 1/4" spanners are usually needed. Multi spiral high pressure hose (5000psi) is required. ** Take note! Clean the fittings before you remove & don't let any dirt or water into the fittings when they are apart. Any dirt/contamination that enters the system will destroy your hydrostatic pump & motor & potentially cost you thousands of dollars. Be certain the new hose has been properly cleaned before fitting. You can run the machine without HTO additive, as it can be added later - pays to keep some on hand.

  2. #2Scavenger2011-07-03 22:11

    alrman, Sorry it took so long to get back. The local case dealer was open Saturday until noon. At 10:45A I finally got the hose off and they are about 45 minutes away. I made it in time but they did not have the hose I needed on hand. They normally stock 1, but they overnighted it to another dealer. It just happened that the guy (mechanic) they call the "hose man" was working. He told me he could make one up $12.75 a foot for the hose, and about $14.00 for each fitting. He basically mirrored what you told me about making sure no debris gets in the hoses or fittings. He told me the one he made he had to pressure test, and it had clean oil residue in it, but I should still spray something like brakleen in and blow it dry with air a couple times. I had plugged all the open holes on the hoses and transmission. Before I connected the hoses, I also sprayed the area a few times with brakleen and blew them off. Now the fun part. The hose he used to make the new one was not the normal hose type for this application. He said the hose for that had been red tagged, and waiting for the Parker rep to check it because of some possible problems. The hose he used was also made by parker and is called something like "Armor-Flex". He said this hose is normally used for applications calling for straighter runs, and slight radius', where it might be prone to things hitting/scraping it. I probably do not need to tell you what little room there is where the hose needs to bend................I fought and fought trying to get this hose to start threading..........that Armor-Flex is a beast, I just could not physically get it to bend that last 1/4", or get the fitting in a position that would help. One of my neighbors who retired from Caterpillar in Illinois somewhere, came over to see what I was doing. After explaining everything to him he told me it was time to put my blacksmith hat on. He showed me how to make an "F" wrench. He say's it is called an "F" wrench because it looks like the letter "F", and also because the stubborn hoses know they are F^$#ed once this tool is applied. It worked like a charm. What I had been grunting and groaning with, now turned into an almost effortless task. He also gave me a lecture about not getting any dirt into the hoses or fittings, and watched me like a hawk. He showed me how to bag the ends of the hoses before sliding them in and under the unknown dirty areas. The case dealer told me that it is not common for that hose to burst, and the old guy showed me where it had been rubbing, and placed a piece of slit hose over the sharp area. I ordered another since the Case guy told me that all 4 are the same. I drained all the hydraulic fluid and filled it with 10-W-30 with the HTO additive, and changed the filter Now, next weekend I am going to change all the hoses for the bucket that are attached to the lift arm. 2 of them have the rubber separating off them, and all 4 have some deep cracks in the covering. Farm & Fleet has this size of hose in many different lengths, but all their hoses have the male threaded ends on them so If I go that route, I will need to get some sort of an adapter fitting for them. I am unsure what size, and what they call the adapters. Thanks again for your help.