Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1845c bucket pins

Massman ยท 2012-02-01 17:56

Has anyone modified their bucket pivot pin so that it can take grease ? I have no grease fittings on those 2 pins

Replies15
  1. #1Goose2012-02-01 20:04

    Yes you can add a grease zerk to the lower pins. I have added zerks here on my personal machine and alot of customer machines. The best way is to remove the bucket and the lower coupler pins. Drill and tap the boss in the opening at the bottom of the frame right in the middle and then install a 90 degree zerk. It is protected well there and with the 90 degree zerk you can grease it pretty easy.

  2. #2JBGASH2012-02-01 20:18

    I have an 1845C also and always wandered why there are no factory grease zerks there also, why would they put them on th top pins but not the bottom? It just does not make any sense at all to me, and to think an engineer designed it.

  3. #3Goose2012-02-01 20:34

    Cases thinking was since the lower pin was down in the dirt and packed with mud most of the time the pin/bushing would last longer if it was dry so the grease would not collect dirt. The 1840 had greasable lower pins but did not have replaceable bushings.

  4. #4Massman2012-02-03 08:17

    Goose Do you have thoughts as to putting zerks in the lower pivot pins?

  5. #5Goose2012-02-03 20:47

    Do you mean drilling the pins themselve? If so Ihave drilles 1 set of these pins and cross drilled to gease the lower pin. It was a pita. I was also worried about the pin breaking due to having to drill half way through the pin and then cross drilling. Drilling the boss is a lot easier. I can get you a picture of the way I did mine tomarrow if you want.

  6. #6willie592012-02-03 21:30

    I agree, drill straight though the pin boss and bushing to fit a zerk. In the case it does get fouled up with dirt, a simple drill bit through the hole will clear it as opposed to a drilled pin with a cross drilled hole, clog it up and you have to remove the pin to clear it.

  7. #7KSSS2012-02-04 12:04

    The 70XT and 440 have the pins drilled and I have broken the bucket pins, seems to happen when it is bitter cold. I think between the 70 and440 I have broken 3 pins that I can recall. Each snapped right at the grease channel.

  8. #8vernier2012-02-04 15:20

    I purchased a new 1845C in 2000 and just love it. It did not have any grease fittings in the bucket pins, and after about 8 hours of use the pins were squealing so loud you couldn't stand it. I called the dealer & they came out drilled the bushings installed grease fittings & no more problems. I think the 1845C's were one of the best skid steers that case produced. I have looked at some of the newer XT models but didn't like the controls, so we keep what we got !!

  9. #9Jeepwalker2012-02-05 11:53

    Couple questions: 1) Lower Bushings: If the lower pin/bushing assembly is worn, did someone say there are replaceable sleeves or bushings? How big of a job is this to replace them? Can you just tap them out with a driver, or do you need a special press? 2) Zerk Installation: Where is the best place (specifically) to locate the zerks? Anyone have a pic? This could be a job I might have to do on my rig soon. If so, may install the zerks at that time. Thanks in advance.

  10. #10Jeepwalker2012-02-05 11:59

    Wait, I should have also asked if the pins typically wear first and just replacing the pins is typically sufficient, or replace them as as set (which I assumed was the case). Thanks

  11. #11Goose2012-02-05 18:25

    On the 1845C the lower and upper pivots on the loader frame and bucket cylinder have replaceable bushings. The quick tach frame does not have bushings in it. Usually you can knock them out or split them with a torch to remove and then drive the new ones in. As far as which wears out , the pins and bushings wear out pretty even so you will want to replace both at the same time. As far as the place to install the zerk drop off the bucket and roll the coupler all the way back with the loader up about 5-6 feet. You can see the boss well between the loader frame tube at the bottom. Finder the center side to side and top to bottom of the opening and drill and tap for the zerk. I took a picture on my phone to attach but cant get it off of my phone right now.

  12. #12Goose2012-02-06 19:45

    Here is a picture of the lower pin zerk I have on my lower pins. Sorry for the poor quality of the picture.

  13. #13Jeepwalker2012-02-06 19:50

    Thanks for the pic. A picture REALLY is worth a thousand words. Very helpful. Looks easy enough..

  14. #14Massman2012-02-08 17:43

    Thanks for the replies and the photo.

  15. #15pcweber2012-04-29 22:29

    anyone have pics of the pins and mods to hold them in, etc? Mine look horrible from the PO welding with what looks like something close to the early 1900's welding equipment...