Hi All, Another question on a Case 1845C for you. I have a problem with my bucket wanting to settle even with the machine running:Banghead. It is progressively getting a little worse as time goes on. I haven't narrowed it down to anything specific yet and I have asked another guy here locally that has one and he said it is as simple as just replacing a couple O-rings. I looked at the parts diagram on the case website last night and I couldn't see which O-rings he was talking about. I see that there are some O-rings in the diagram but from what I can see, most of them are so oil doesn't leak to the outside of the valve fittings. Is there something that I am missing? Has anyone had this similar problem before? I tried to find it in an old forum here on HEF but I couldn't come up with anyone having this same issue but maybe I wasn't using the right search terms. Thanks in advance.
Mine is starting to do that too a little. Be interested in hearing what people advise..
Most often this is caused by worn piston seals in the cylinder(s). YMMV
Lantraxco - so are you thinking the valve body is probably ok and the cylinders are just in need of a rebuild? I was thinking maybe the cylinder wasn't the problem because I don't have any leaks that are visible with dirt sticking to them. I guess it could be the internal seal on the piston head inside the cylinder leaking. I wasn't thinking of the cylinders leaking because they seem strong when I use them but then they settle if you keep your hand off the control. Then after 15-20 seconds if you move the bucket control lever then the bucket tilts back all the way up again. I guess the only way to know would be to have them pressure tested.
If it's the bucket tilt cylinders, they pull to tip the bucket back right? Get a half load in the bucket, tip it back some and lay it down on something, timber, etc. to take the load off the hydraulics. Shut the machine off, wiggle the controls to relieve hydraulic pressure, disconnect the rod end hose of one cylinder where it connects to the steel lines, try to keep the hose mostly full of oil, cap the line and plug the hose end, looks like #8 JIC connections. Start her up and gently raise the bucket off the blocking. If it doesn't drift that cylinder is okay, if it does drift the piston seals at least need replaced. Set it back down and hook the hose back up, do the same thing with the rod end hose on the other cylinder, same deal, with the rod end hose plugged there's nowhere for oil to go but past the piston seals, so if the bucket drifts down more than a fraction, bad piston seals. As usual, use caution when dealing with pressurized oil.