Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1845c chain drive metal shavings and issues

Hvyhorsepwr ยท 2015-02-04 00:15

hi forum. Newbie here and in need of some expert input. Have an issue with the drive when moving at high speed. Seems it sounds like a chain is rattling and ready to jump teeth. If I stop and back up it goes away for a specific distance then comes back. Upon inspection I found substantial water in the chain case. I drained it (rt side) and started to inspect the chain tension. I decided to ck the left side for water and went ahead and drained it as well when I found metal in the gear oil. This side did not have any water in the case. The metal pieces look like a half circle in a circumference of approx 1". Almost like the remnants of trimming your thumbnail. I think the chain jumping issue is on the rt but find this issue on the left side. Questions are, what are these metal pieces(5-8 pieces and counting) from and could this be the actual side the chain jumping issue is actually on? Could these metal pieces be related to the brake pin? Can water be getting into the case outside of the inspection covers which apparently need new seals? What recommendations do you have moving forward? Probably need to give more information to you to make a logical recommendation so open for ideas. Thanks in advance for the help!!

Replies3
  1. #1apetad2015-02-04 18:32

    The "C" shaped pieces are from the brake pin holes that are made into your "Cluster Sprocket" When the brake pin cable is out of whack, or the brake engaged while machine is moving it snaps these pieces out of the sprocket. Do you have a picture of the chaincase innards?

  2. #2clintm2015-02-04 20:48

    that was common issues on the 1845c. the plastic covers on the chain cases did not seal very good and if you tried to get them to tight you would crack them i always use some RVT sealant when reinstalling them. also don't forget to grease the wheel bearing fittings on the axles behind the tire's

  3. #3apetad2015-02-05 11:50

    Quite possibly the brake pin is rubbing on the sprocket due to adjustment or other brake pin problems...