A week or two ago, as I was working away on my 1845C, all of a sudden I heard a screeching or squealing noise coming out of the engine compartment. If I backed off the throttle, it subsided somewhat, and at low idle couldn't really hear it much at all. I noticed when I looked down at the belt from above, it seemed to be flopping around a good bit, so I assumed maybe the belt tensioner bearings were bad, so I replaced it last week. Got back on the machine, everything sounded normally. Yesterday I was out working away and after about 2 hours or so, all of a sudden the screaming started again. I got out a hose and stuck one end in my ear and moved the other end around in the general area, but I am unable to determine where the noise is coming from. I figure the possibilities are fan pulley, water pump or alternator - sound reasonable? This morning I got out a wrench and took the tension off the belt and spun the three candidates (thinking one of them might feel a little crunchy and give me a clue) but didn't notice anything suspect. Any suggestions? Wait until something breaks, then fix it? I prefer to be a little more proactive about the maintenance, but don't want to start replacing a bunch of stuff that's not broken either. Thanks for any help.
If it is making noise it is already broke!! You said your belt tension was good? That is what it sounds like, the screaming is your belt slipping, not neccessarily anything else other than the tensioner, make sure it is putting enough tension on the belt
I think its your tensioner, but if you let it go it can get the water pump too... Parts are available from case & case ih dealers as well as aftermarket companies.
Sorry I thought I made it clear that I thought it was the tensioner so I replaced it . Is there some other way of making sure it is putting enough tension on the belt?
Did you replace the belt? At 19yrs old I thought I had blown the engine or at least done some serious harm after one of those boy racer moments in traffic. I had never heard a noise like it Re check and tension the belt or if possible change it. It will be the cheapest and probably easiest thing to eliminate. Were you doing anything to load other bits that are run by that belt ( I am not familiar with its layout ) eg, the water pump was mentioned, is temperature OK, is alternator run by this belt ?
Did you replace the belt as well. The two belts the J911558 and the J911559 are very close in length. The 559 is about 1 1/2 inches longer and the tensioner may not be sitting properly, the belt will be loose. Just a thought, that or the existing belt has become glazed on the back side I've seen that too.
When you had the belt off and spinning the fan hub did you happen to check the hub for any wobble. Alot of times when the hub bearing starts to go bad it will squeal bad. If the bearings are getting bad you should be able to pick up a wobble or rocking in the fan and hub by twisting on the fan with the belt off.
Good point GOOSE bearing can spin fairly noise free but have a real wobble.